Hi everyone, below you will find the updates from the Desktop team from the last week. If you’re interested in discussing a topic please start a thread in the Desktop area of Discourse.
Last week’s notes are here: Desktop Team Updates - Monday 5th April 2021 🐇
ADSys (GPO Client for Ubuntu Desktop)
- Added integration tests + integration with CI. Still ongoing (miss AD mocking)
Short week - off for 2 days
- Ubuntu Desktop Installer:
- Reviewed and merged one, two, three PRs.
- Continued with getting the subiquity binding up to parity.
- Conducted more interviews for the Flutter position.
snapd pull requests:
Received some more feedback on snapd PR #9043 (REST API authentication refactor), with a request to split out some of the code into separate pull requests. That led to:
snapd PR #10126 (already merged), containing some small cleanups to the unix socket credentials code.
snapd PR #10127 (one of two approvals received), containing the new access checker implementations without actually replacing the old access code.
I’m hopeful that the remaining parts will be merged soon, so we can move on to making the theme installation API accessible without use of
Ubuntu Core GDM experiment:
- Made some adjustments to better support the
desktop-launch plug, by making sure XDG_DATA_DIRS and PATH are set correctly in the user systemd and dbus environments when running the confined desktop session. I tried also setting DISPLAY/WAYLAND_DISPLAY ahead of time, but that broke the session (presumably it thought it was running in X11 mode and failed when it couldn’t find the X server).
- It still seems necessary to restart the user session after installing snaps and connecting their
x11 interface for them to be able to successfully connect, so hopefully that can be worked through.
- Having a simple
desktop slot implementation that could give apps access to system fonts from the boot file system would probably be the next big win for allowing external snaps to run on the image.