Announcing the Ubuntu Desktop Team Indaba (AMA) - April 23, 2021 @ 3PM UTC

What is the Ubuntu Desktop Team Indaba? Indaba is a South African term for “a conference or consultation between people”. This will be a live stream featuring members of the Ubuntu Desktop Team and members of the community. We will include special guests from the community as well as take questions from via live chat.

When: Friday April 23, 2021 @ 3PM UTC.
Where: UbuntuOnAir
Special Guest: Frederik Feichtmeier from the Yaru team

Attendees will be able to ask questions live in the chat via YouTube. You are also welcome to ask your questions on this thread in advance and we’ll do our best to answer them on air.

35 Likes

Question for the team: What’s the future of the ubuntu dock in a GNOME 40 world?

3 Likes

And one more: Both Fedora and openSUSE have immutable systems (Silverblue and MicroOS) - any plans for a more modern Ubuntu Core Desktop?

I am getting to old to dpkg-configure -a.

4 Likes

have you seen:

2 Likes

As an archlinux user I would like to know if the team ever thought about making a minimal-minimal ISO without an installer or GUI? Something similar to archlinux where you do everything yourself?

would these help you ?

(with images at):

Are those really minimal? Like no installer, no gui etc.?

yes

1 Like

ok great, thanks, didn’t know that!

I have indeed been watching James’ work with great interest, I am hoping for more detail and of course, a target date/release. :smiley:

1 Like

Let me give my vote for this question. I also find this issue very topical.

And one more question, maybe to some extent related to the previous one. What do you think about the initiative of Pop!_OS to create their GNOME-based desktop environment? Is there any chance for Ubuntu to start developing own DE?

1 Like

That sounds like Ubuntu Budgie.

Gonna join, haven’t comed up with any questions now however, maybe i will during the day

1 Like

Honestly, I’ve been using Ubuntu 2008 and since then I had a couple of issues here and there. But, overtime Ubuntu is getting better in many ways despite few changes which were controversial like Ubuntu bar or snap packages. In brief, I noticed that Ubuntu does not handle very well Wi-Fi 6, changing a theme is big pain which creates many errors, and it’s not uniform at all with GTK 3.x. scanners are not recognized for my old brother 4in1 mfc-j450DW. And, finally when can we expect to see big changes not minor updates like this last one 21.04???!

Thank you.

1 Like

I’d like there to be far more 32-bit distros for old system. A vast proportion of linux users are running old laptops. In fact, that’s almost the raison d’etre for linux! Dumping 32-bit is a huge mistake. Right now, I’m stuck on an old thinkpad running MATE 32-bit LTS and it’s running out of support this month but I will have to just stick with it. 32-bit is still very important.

1 Like

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SmthCRF-NQQ

Tuned in now :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Is ubuntu considering building a paid app store? Which distribution will include gnome 40? And lastly, will Ubuntu ever consider building a server backend system like fedora.

2 Likes

Will you consider removing firefox as the default browser considering there new initiative to cencor users, which goes against the ubuntu philosophy.

1 Like