Desktop Team Integration Squad Updates – Monday 5th February 2024

Hi everyone, below you will find updates from the Desktop team’s Integration squad from the last week. If you’re interested in discussing a topic please start a thread in the Desktop area of Discourse .

Last week’s notes are here: Desktop Team Integration Squad Updates – Monday 29th January 2024

1 Like
  • Lots of bug triage and user support in Launchpad and upstreams. Backlog stats are here.
  • Progress on flicker-free boot issues:
    • Testing SimpleDRM kernel builds and figured out what was missing from our plan to get it working.
    • Unwanted boot messages:
      • Figured out the userspace cause (that can’t be fixed with loglevel). It’s a 9 year old systemd patch but there’s some desire to keep it around until plymouth doesn’t rely on it anymore.
      • Attempted a plymouthd fix before realising it can never be reliable because userspace is never guaranteed to start early enough to precede problematic kernel messages.
      • Wrote new kernel patches and finally sent them upstream: [1], [2] :partying_face:
    • Patched a plymouthd crash that was also causing missing boot animations on some systems.
  • Triple buffering: A code review raised an interesting possibility of staying in triple buffering for too long. Redesigned slightly to prevent that.
  • Travel planning.
7 Likes
  • Packaged Sugar updates to stop using webkit2gtk 4.0
  • Opened bugs to propose removing the last 2 webkit2gtk 4.0 packages from Ubuntu 24.04 LTS: astroidmail and gamehub
  • Well, actually Ubiquity still uses webkit2gtk 4.0 for its timezone map. Ubiquity is no longer used as the installer for Ubuntu Desktop but several community desktop flavors still use it.

• Updated libsoup2.4 and libsoup3 packaging to allow us to stop building PHP on i386
  • Also updated the protobuf packaging to enable that and proposed our protobuf diffs to Debian to allow the package to be autosyncable in the future.

• After I sponsored multiple sets of his uploads, I granted upload rights for the gstreamer packages to Marc Leeman. He promptly updated gstreamer to the latest stable series, 1.22.9.
  • I updated gst-python1.0 to include upstream’s new patches for compatibility with Python 3.12. This allowed several packages that had been temporarily removed from Ubuntu 24.04 LTS to return, including Lollypop, Pitivi, and Sugar.
  • I moved our packaging repos for gst-plugins-good1.0 and gst-plugins-bad1.0 to use branches in Debian’s Salsa to simplify the merge workflow. Please message me if you need commit rights there.

• I joined Debian’s EFI team with the primary goal of updating libgusb which I have done.
  • I submitted my first merge request for debhelper to improve reproducibility for packages that use meson when upstream is using meson’s feature options.
  • Met a new Debian contributor and signed their key
  • Removed geary from s390x on Debian and Ubuntu to allow users to get the latest release.
3 Likes