Desktop Team Integration Squad Updates – Monday 1st July 2024

Hi everyone, below you will find updates from the Desktop team’s Integration squad from the last week. If you’re interested in discussing a topic please start a thread in the Desktop area of Discourse .

Last week’s notes are here: Desktop Team Integration Squad Updates – Monday 24th June 2024

1 Like
  • Worked through the poppler reverse dependency failures with a lot of help from Andreas Hasenack (who was doing +1 maintenance). The last one to figure out is inkscape. We forwarded the fixes to Debian and also to upstream in cases where the fixes weren’t already in upstream.
  • Helped identify the upload that caused all oracular builds to fail in Launchpad on Monday. The upload was removed and has been reuploaded without the part that caused the issue.

• Filed MIRs for jpeg-xl and its dependency highway
  • Forwarded several fixes to Debian for minor issues identified during MIR preparation, jpeg-xl and highway
  • Disabled openexr support in Ubuntu’s jpeg-xl. I believe openexr support isn’t very helpful here until openexr-thumbnailer is packaged for gdk-pixbuf support. Even then, I’m not sure that .exr is a very common format but I don’t object if someone wants to do the MIR work for it.
  • Debian’s jpeg-xl was updated to 0.9 this week including gdk-pixbuf support for the first time
    – Updated gnome-backgrounds in Debian to version 46 (which uses jpeg-xl for the default wallpaper)
    – Updated Debian’s gnome-control-center to depend on the jpeg-xl gdk-pixbuf package
    – Updated gsettings-desktop-schemas to drop the patch avoiding the switch to the 46 default wallpaper. (This last change doesn’t affect most users since Debian has a different wallpaper provided by desktop-base.)

• Filed a MIR for libdisplay-info. Also fixed its Debian watch file.
  • Debian Unstable switched to Python 3.12 as the default Python this week which prompted me to fix the syndication-domination packaging to correctly build for all supported Python3 versions.
  • Backported Ubuntu’s gdk-pixbuf recent security fix to Debian for inclusion in tomorrow’s expected final next-to-final Debian 11 stable update before it reaches regular End of Life
  • Miscellaneous other updates
5 Likes
5 Likes