Desktop Team Integration Squad Updates – Monday 15th July 2024

Hi everyone, below you will find updates from the Desktop team’s Integration squad from the last week. If you’re interested in discussing a topic please start a thread in the Desktop area of Discourse .

Last week’s notes are here: Desktop Team Integration Squad Updates – Monday 8th July 2024

1 Like
  • Fixed a delay installing gnome-remote-desktop 46 for Debian & Ubuntu 24.10 & proposed it for 24.04 LTS. The fix uses a custom postinst instead of the automated debhelper version.
  • With the gnome-remote-desktop issue fixed, requested approval from the Debian Release Team to push GNOME Shell 46 to Debian Unstable
    • This involved checking the list of packaged GNOME Shell extensions to verify which are ready for 46
    • Unfortunately, this will make the Budgie desktop uninstallable in Debian Unstable. This is because Debian ftpmasters have not accepted the mutter fork magpie into Debian yet.

• Verified graphviz SRU for 22.04 LTS & 24.04 LTS
  • Landed mutter 46.3.1 in Debian Experimental and Ubuntu 24.10. We need to finish the ongoing 46.2 SRU before we can upload this to Ubuntu 24.04 LTS.
  • I noticed that calendar event notifications were especially “noisy” in Ubuntu because of an old gsettings override so I fixed that issue for 24.10 and proposed the fix for 24.04 LTS.

• There was a new security update for GTK3 so I pushed the update to Debian Unstable and Ubuntu 24.10. Cherrypicked the fix for gtk2 there too.
  • I found an old merge request for Debian’s gnome-settings-daemon that mentioned that we were not running all the available build tests. I have now enabled those extra tests on all the Debian & Ubuntu release architectures except for mips64el and riscv64.
  • A new Firefox ESR, 128.0, was released this week so I filed an ITP for it. We haven’t started packaging it yet, but we will get to it in the coming weeks

• I finally dropped the GNOME Games from Debian’s default install. I did this for Ubuntu 24.04 LTS earlier although Debian was shipping many more of these games by default than Ubuntu was. As with Ubuntu, the games are still available for install, just not installed for everyone by default.
  • I split the GNOME on Xorg session to a separate package, gnome-session-xsession , and made it a Recommends to allow it to be removed. I did this in Debian and will do it in Ubuntu “soon”.
  • Attended the Ubuntu Flavor Sync
  • Miscellaneous other updates

• I’ll be at GUADEC in Denver later next week. Feel free to say hi!
2 Likes
  • Lots of bug triage and user support in Launchpad and upstreams. Backlog stats are here.
  • Updated triple buffering for Mutter 46.3.1. Now in Debian and Oracular, thanks to Jeremy.
  • Verifying various Mutter 46.2 fixes in Noble for days.
  • Finished testing ideas for how to improve secondary GPU recovery. Resolved all discussions.
  • Proposed two fixes (!3877, !3881) for the Mutter frame clock preventing it from running slightly too fast when something is rendering in a partially occluded background window.
  • Proposed another frame clock simplification while I was there.
  • Started working on the VRR black screen bug, rather unexpectedly. Just because I came across some (unfinished?) code in the clutter frame clock that appeared to explain some of the problem.
  • Worked with Nathan to audit some lingering VA-API patches in Chromium.
1 Like