Desktop Team Distro Squad Updates – Monday 2nd October 2023

Hi everyone, below you will find updates from the Desktop team’s Distro squad from the last week. If you’re interested in discussing a topic please start a thread in the Desktop area of Discourse.

Last week’s notes are here: Desktop Team Distro Squad Updates – Monday 25th September 2023

3 Likes
6 Likes
  • Updated the GNOME Rust packages to the GNOME 45 version for Ubuntu 23.10. Thank you to the Release Team for allowing this late transition. This was about 59 affected packages.
  • I also pushed this transition to Debian Unstable.
  • Updating the GNOME Rust stack is one of the biggest improvements since Ubuntu 23.04. Ubuntu 23.04 shipped with the GNOME 41 Rust stack. It did not have rust-libadwaita and there were no Rust GTK4 .deb apps. Now there are 4 Rust GTK4+libadwaita .deb apps. Maybe we’ll get one or two more in before the 23.10 release next week. I expect there will be even more for Ubuntu 24.04 LTS.
  • You can learn more about how the GNOME Rust packages are maintained and updated by attending a talk from Matthias Geiger at the Ubuntu Summit a month from now in Riga, Latvia. Matthias has been doing most of the GNOME Rust work on the Debian side while I sponsor and review some of the work and manage the Ubuntu side.
  • If you do plan to attend, fill out the registration form now. You can attend in-person or remotely.

Other Work

• Ported the Rust Process Viewer app to the GNOME 45 stack.
  • Updated gjs to 1.58 in Ubuntu 23.10 with a switch from mozjs102 to mozjs115
  • Updated the GNOME Shell extension packages in Ubuntu 23.10: Desktop Icons NG and Tiling Assistant
3 Likes