Cloud images

Canonical produces a variety of cloud-specific images, which are available directly via the clouds themselves, as well as on https://cloud-images.ubuntu.com.

Public clouds

Compute offerings

Users can find Ubuntu images for virtual machines and bare-metal offerings published directly to the following clouds:

Container offerings

Ubuntu images are also produced for a number of container offerings:

Private clouds

On cloud-images.ubuntu.com, users can find standard and minimal images for the following:

• Hyper-V
  • KVM
  • OpenStack
  • Vagrant
  • VMware

Release support

Cloud images are published and supported throughout the lifecycle of an Ubuntu release. During this time images can receive all published security updates and bug fixes.

For users wanting to upgrade from one release to the next, the recommended path is to launch a new image with the desired release and then migrate any workload or data to the new image.

Some cloud image customisation must be applied during image creation, which would be missing if an in-place upgrade were performed. For that reason, in-place upgrades of cloud images are not recommended.

More information needed about the difference between *-server-cloudimg-amd64-disk-kvm.img and *-server-cloudimg-amd64.img

based on name alone (because i have not looked at the repository) the 1st would be an image for KVM that is an image for a small whole virtual disk and 2nd is not (unsure what it is for).

can you tell us what conditions and situation you need an image for? my own needs are to run on AWS EC2 instances and what i use is right there on EC2.