Call for testing: chromium-browser deb to snap transition

The cursor from 90s, I believe. It reminds of when I had to install Linux (Redhat in my case, pre-fedora days), and after it had booted I had to type in startx to start the x server which loaded the GUI, in my case was GNOME 1.x

I can observe the issue too. I filed bug #1838008 to track it. Thanks for spotting and reporting it!

1 Like

I have always used basic password store instead of keyring in the desktop file. But this doesn’t work with snap. Can anyone tell me how can I keep doing that ?

Are you saying the basic password is not working or the keyring in the desktop file is not working? Have you given the appriate app permission?

1. When clicking web link from sylpheed mail client chromium often crashes. I haven’t found reliable way to reproduce it without sylpeed, but running echo -n | chromium-browser --new-window 'https://www.google.com/' about 10 times causes crash too.

Make sure the password-manager-service interface is disconnected:

snap disconnect chromium:password-manager-service

This will force chromium to use the basic password store.

I can reproduce the crash. I have filed bug #1838508 to track it, and I am investigating it.

I was away from my PC for about 90 minutes. I left Chromium and a few applications running each on their own work spaces. When I returned I used Chromium briefly, switched to another work space and when I tried to switch back to Chromium using the dock icon I noticed that the indicator which would confirm that Chromium was running was missing. At first I thought Chromium had crashed but I looked through the work spaces and found Chromium just as I had left it.

snap changes and snap info chromium confirmed there had been an auto-refresh from version 75 to version 76 while I had been away.

Clicking on the dock icon opened a new blank Chromium window (v.75). I then closed Chromium (v.75) completely and restarted it (v.76) from the dock icon. I saw the standard warning that Chromium did not close down correctly. My previous session was partly restored but I’m not sure up to what point.

I don’t think I’m reporting anything new and I am probably just confirming that known problems still exist. But I thought that I would post my findings as I was confused for a while and those less familiar with the Chromium snap might have been even more confused.

2 Likes

This is a known problem with snaps, and is slated to be fixed soon. See https://forum.snapcraft.io/t/wip-refresh-app-awareness/10736 for full details.

2 Likes

When going to Details | Default Applications | Web in the Settings Application I expect to see a single entry for each web browser that I have installed but “Chromium Web Browser” appears twice.

Selecting either entry appears to correctly set Chromium as the default browser although when I first started to look at this I saw a notification that Chromium had not previously closed correctly when I next tried to use it. I haven’t seen that notification since.

Does anyone else see two entries for Chromium?

I found the cause of the crash (it’s a recent regression) and pushed a fix for it, the next builds will have it.

I do. Thanks for the report @paulw2u, I filed bug #1838628 to track it.

It’s not using basic password store. Not keyring. I used to edit edit Exec parameter like --password-store=basic in chromium-browser.desktop file

Thanks. That worked. But in next reboot it again doesn’t. I used to edit edit Exec parameter like --password-store=basic in chromium-browser.desktop file (in ~/.local/share). Can’t we do something similar in which settings will be persisted even after upgrade ?

The connected state of the password-manager-service interface is persistent across reboots, so unless you connect it manually, if it was disconnected it will remain so.

Note that if you’re on 19.10 and recently updated chromium-browser, the preinst script might have forcefully connected the interface for you (see bug #1836616). This is a one-off action, so it should be safe to manually disconnect the interface again, and hopefully this won’t happen again.

And this is now fixed. I uploaded an updated deb to eoan, it will be available soon to all eoan users.

2 Likes

Broken again , cant load it:

chromium_chromium.desktop[1698]: cannot create cgroup hierarchy /sys/fs/cgroup/devices/snap.chromium.chromium/: No such file or directory

Can you report that on https://forum.snapcraft.io/ with details about the Ubuntu version you are using and ‘snap version’ output?

Hi,

Since the last 19.10 updates, Chromium icon disappeared from Dock, but its place is still empty and when I hover with the mouse, the text “Navigateur Web Chromium” is well shown on the bubble.

If i run in terminal: chromium-browser

Le schéma « com.canonical.Unity.Launcher » n’existe pas (doesn’t exist)
erreur interne, veuillez le signaler : l’exécution de “chromium” a échoué : cannot find installed snap “chromium” at revision 817: missing file /snap/chromium/817/meta/snap.yaml

And snap list:

Nom                   Version                     Révision  Suivi     Éditeur     Notes
chromium                                          817       stable    canonical✓  cassé
core                                              7270      stable    canonical✓  cassé
core18                20190723                    1074      stable    canonical✓  base