Call for participation: an ubuntu default theme lead by the community?

I’ll send a PR tomorrow, it’s a one line removal :slight_smile:

1 Like

Possibly something like this? The inconsistencies between the first-party / third-party icons really bother me. :grinning:

1 Like

Use Suru++ then. It’s using all original Sam’s icons along with branded apps.

1 Like

grafik

The Activities button in the top left of the desktop has an orange underline in pressed state (see picture above).

Would it be possible to test the look of a grey (neutral) underline when the button is not pressed? If that looks OK that could make up for the “glitch” line between top bar and sidebar.

Did you see it?

baddesign

It looks bad.

Most Icons look quiet good actually!

What exactly do you mean with glitch? :smile:

Bildschirmfoto vom 2018-06-25 19-11-55
Bildschirmfoto vom 2018-06-25 19-23-17

The small line below “Activities”.

I thought that this wasn’t supposed to be here, but couldn’t be removed.

That line could probably be masked by showing a broader voluntary grey line instead which would turn orange when “Activities” is clicked. Like a lamp being turned on.

EDIT: OK, some kind of mockup with my shitty GIMP skills:
Bildschirmfoto vom 2018-06-25 19-11-55

Clicking on it would “turn the orange light on”.

Firefox icon is decent, the other one not so much. Overall it’s improvement as at least every icon share the same frame unlike normal Suru.

I use it daily.

Ahhh yeah that line/shadow is there by design. Top panel and par should symbolise two transparentized stripes of paper like origami (fits to the suru icon theme)

1 Like

We can’t ship modified icons of branded apps having a trademark, like Firefox, Skype, Chrome or others. That would be a violation of their redistribution and TOS policy.

2 Likes

As @frederik-f said, the line is there by design. It can be improved of course, but I don’t feel that the gray underline is the right choice

Is there any chance for (even slightly outdated) the theme on Unity Ubuntu 16.04 ? I know that it’s unsupported for a good reason, but even crippled theme would be huge improvement over default themes. Any working branch i can install as snap (or otherwise) ?

As I said above, we can create a Communitheme extension.
With it, we can implement the icon shapes and Blur effect.

I ask to participate in the poll to decide whether to create an extension:

• Yes, create an extension.
  • No, it isn’t necessary.

0 voters

Thank you for voting!

2 Likes

@eaglers I’m not a tech wizard, so I can’t explain this, but this is not the way to go. I think you’ve got things mix together here :smiley:

IMHO We’ve done some good work with what we have to work with atm, and when blur in Gnome shell is an option, I’m sure we will adapt the theme to this feature #patience

1 Like

Wait for GTK4 for blur:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gqo8nJKjcis
(Don’t get scared by the anime backgrounds or the music he uses and wait for the blur)

2 Likes

I’m afraid not. Event he most outdated version is available for Ubuntu 17.10, and by most outdated I mean something that is really different from what you can see now.

Will the iconpack be updated in PPA?

we’re not updating the ppa anymore, however, since Suru is (also) maintained externally, the iconpack is available in the repository

$ apt search suru-icon-theme
Sorting... Done
Full Text Search... Done
suru-icon-theme/xenial-updates,xenial-updates 14.04+16.04.20180326-0ubuntu1 all
  Ubuntu Suru Icon theme

In which repository?

the default ones. Couldn’t you find it?