Call for participation: an ubuntu default theme lead by the community?

Search this thread. I invited the creator of this mockup to the theme makeover, but as you’ll understand from his comment - well, let’s just say it didn’t work out :speak_no_evil:

It’s a common misunderstanding that I’ve read a lot before. By a “new theme” it isn’t meant that we can change the UI, like moving stuff around. In that way, you could say that our working area is very limited. We mostly change colors, a little padding and if we’re lucky an icon :wink:

Anyone have plans to make this theme work well on KDE plasma? I just installed plasma, kvcommunitheme on Kvantum but there are still huge problems with windows decorations (there are none to match the theme, i use materia), interface decorations (?)(i again use materia), system windows (they look out of place), applications, sddm.
Overall, the experience on KDE isn’t looking as good as the communitheme on gnome, and due to stubborn refusal to make gtk windows first class citizens on kde(cheers gnome devs!), using gtk applications isn’t that good either.
On the other hand, latte docks is quite nice, and kde have potential to look better than gnome, and can be way closer to former unity desktop in terms of ux. If there would be easy enough way to enable good out of the box experience, the year of linux desktop would perhaps come?

1 Like

For sure, the plan is to support Qt applications, but it is something we started to really discuss in the last weeks

Firefox and opera showing different text selection color. Firefox is orange and Opera is light Blue.

Is it a experiment ? I like both colours (including Gray) :wink:

Screenshot from 2018-06-21 11-11-16

Screenshot from 2018-06-21 11-09-07

2 Likes

Firefox will be fixed soon, @frederik-f is already working on it :wink:

4 Likes

It would be nice to make the blur effect of the background instead of blackout in the application menu, the password input and Wi-Fi choice window and etc. It was used in Unity, including the eighth version.

Here the blur is made using the Blyr extension:

• Blur
  • Blackout

0 voters

1 Like

It would be nice indeed, but as you mentioned yourself, this is only possible with an extension like Blyr atm. We don’t want to ship and maintain yet another extension, so we’ll have to wait for gnome shell to enable blur.

4 Likes

Same can say about the automatic icon adaptation to Suru. This can’t do through an icon theme. But we can create an extension.

Concept by jaggers:

I propose to create an extension that will be included in the Communitheme package, together with Suru icons, GTK theme, GNOME Shell theme, sound theme and cursor.

With the extension, we can implement solutions such as Blur, icon shapes, etc.
In one extension.

4 Likes

Hey, first off, AMAZING work on the theme, everyone involved so far. It genuinely is fantastic, and I feel it has the potential to become a defining image for Linux to the public’s eye. It’s elegant, stylish, and easy to read and use and fall in love with. Especial thank you to @godlyranchdressing, whose United I used ever since its first release, and up until Communitheme (I like the name Yaru, by the way!), thought it was the very best GTK/Shell theme around and wanted it to be default. I’m glad it’s finally getting widespread support through United 2.0 :^) But seriously, amazing work.

To my first little suggestion here, though there may be a few. While I really like the idea to go with the jet color in the dash/top bar, something never felt quite right about it. The contrast was nice, but the hues of the two colors was off. Then it hit me that the RGB offset was probably slightly different between the two, and it turns out I was right.

I did a minor bit of messing around in GIMP, and ended up adding the RGB offsets (+2 R, +1 B) to the jet color. While it’s a very subtle change that isn’t actively noticeable to most users, when I look at the two versions, it’s clear to me that the edited version blends together a lot nicer - there’s a much nicer matching warmth that feels more congruent, and probably would feel better for an extended period of time. It feels a bit like the way the Android statusbar works.

Unedited

Edited
https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/110373943822540800/460307417264291860/cab39802e8b4a19a47a6cc13e2f6946ab234cab6.jpg

Take a look for yourself, and if anyone else agrees, I’ll go ahead and make a PR with the slightly edited colors, and we can go from there.

BTW - thanks/sorry to @frederik-f for my stealing your screenshot for this test. I could only find yours for the best fullscreened screenshot and I wasn’t on my linux install at the time :slight_smile:

Hi @taciturasa, thank you for the suggestion. I must say I can’t see much difference in the picture above, but you are absolutely free (and encouraged) to propose a PR. This way we can test it on our machines :wink:

it’s blue today on edge!
where can find changelog ?

I know :smiley:
There is no “changelog” for edge channel, since it is the development branch. You can follow the last PR accepted on
https://github.com/ubuntu/gtk-communitheme and https://github.com/ubuntu/gnome-shell-communitheme

Later today edge channel will be promoted stable and I’ll write the usual report

Okay!
Then, same question: where can find the stable changelog?

Diodon and Tomboy indicators not inherite theme :

Capture d’écran de 2018-06-25 14-48-58

That would be an icon theme problem I guess. But we use a fork of the suru icon theme at the moment. So you would probably need to create an icon request there but I can forecast that this will be closed as “wontfix” since sam won’t make icons for third party apps. Also, thanks for reporting issues you notice but for individual and smaller issues it would be better to see if this would match as an issue report directly to either the gtk, the shell or the icon repo on github :slight_smile:

but diodon icon on ubuntu default theme was nice
Why not inherit from ubuntu-mono-dark?

1 Like

Thinking about it, the application menu in the Shell panel is using the symbolic icon for the application itself, which is quite different from the logo in the Dock for the application.

Also, some are colored due to branding issues, where others are not. In ambiance, we patched that out to always show the colored version until a reasonable of them have icons that similar to the original, should communitheme do the same?

1 Like

Here, later today :smiley:

I always preferred monochrome icons on the dock, but at the same time it looks better if the tray matches the dock. What would the patch be?

The Communitheme team is happy to announce a new stable release and we reached double digit release 10!

This week update brings the following:

• Re-introduced hover effects on out-of-focus (or backdrop) windows
  • Initial updates on GTK2 theme to make it as similar as possible to our GTK3 main theme
  • Again light blue for selected text.
  • Bug fixes!

EDIT:

• I should also have updated the flatpak version :smiley:

A Communitheme inspired Firefox theme is available, but, please consider that this is not part of Communitheme official release.

5 Likes