Battery Life

Continuing the discussion from About the Desktop category:

I have been using ubuntu since 2016. I will never go back to windows again! It is the best desktop OS for programmers!

However, I wish it can run longer than 2 hours on my laptop, like MacBook OS can run 8 ~ 10 hours. I hope the energy saver or battery saver feature can be on top priority of next development. Even 4 or 5 hours can be a great leap to the future!

You have done a wonderful job!

2 Likes

Moved to a new topic, as battery life or excessive power consumption was not part of that discussion.

My own laptop runs 6-7 hours, so your experience is not universal.
Ubuntu’s several support venues have a lot of experience helping folks troubleshoot short battery life and/or excessive power consumption. Do try them. The issue might not need developer attention at all.

Hi @danlidennydeng and good day to you. For increasing your battery life, I would try the following:

• Reduce the brightness when possible on your laptop.
  • Turn off the WiFi and Bluetooth when not in use.
    The above two points are the biggest sources of power drain.
  • Furthermore, try killing certain power hungry applications and powertop is a good way to check for high power usage applications.
  • In addition, you can try using a lighter desktop environment such as Xubuntu or a window manager as well, which uses fewer resources.
    I hope that helps!