AWS Anbox Cloud Appliance

Hi Simon,

I am really sorry to message you directly but i cant see how to open a new topic on your Discourse system - perhaps i am in the wrong place.

We are trialing your anbox cloud appliance in AWS. I have followed your AWS specific guides a number of times when trying to sudo anbox-cloud-appliance init we always get

Error: Get “http://unix/1.0/status”: dial unix /var/snap/anbox-cloud-appliance/common/service/internal.socket: connect: no such file or directory

In addition to this the LXD version in your marketplace image is out of date (easy enough to fix with your guides but it does make a new user doubt if they are maintained and/or missing other required config/packages).

I have tried ARM and x86 instances with various instance types (including the recommended instances in your guide). Your guide implies that you can launch a new instance, run a couple of commands and the web interface is running - we havent managed to ever see this web interface.

Moving on the to initialization, we always experience the internal.socket issue.

Its highly likely we are missing a step somewhere or a basic gotcha but we can only follow your documentation and at least expect to get a base config up and running from launching a marketplace instance.

Can you assist or point me in the correct direction for trying to get a tiny bit of support or some ideas. If you can confirm to me that the image in the marketplace works after following your guide then that’s good enough for me to continue to troubleshoot on my own.

Thanks

hey @dcee398073,

happy to help!

In addition to this the LXD version in your marketplace image is out of date (easy enough to fix with your guides but it does make a new user doubt if they are maintained and/or missing other required config/packages).

It’s not necessarily out dated, LXD 4.0 is still a support LTS release. However due to the appliance currently build on top of Ubuntu 20.04 and the LXD 4.0 LTS is shipped with it by default we’re bound to what is included. In the near future we will provide an Ubuntu 22.04 based AMI which will then have the correct LXD version preinstalled. In terms of functionality though this doesn’t make any difference.

I have tried ARM and x86 instances with various instance types (including the recommended instances in your guide). Your guide implies that you can launch a new instance, run a couple of commands and the web interface is running - we havent managed to ever see this web interface.

Have you applied the security group settings as specified in the guide? This is critical in order to expose the needed ports to the outside. After the appliance snap is installed you should directly see a web UI on the instances HTTPS endpoint.

To double check I just created an instance with the latest arm64 AMI ami-0715c6755c5561356 (us-east-1) with the default settings. After the instance was created the web UI was immediately up on the instance DNS endpoint. Furthermore the init command just runs through as expected:

ubuntu@ip-172-31-19-192:~$ sudo anbox-cloud-appliance init
Welcome to the Anbox Cloud Appliance!

The following questions will guide you through the initial setup of the
appliance. If you don't care about answering any of them you can just
accept the defaults.

For any further questions please have a look a the official Anbox Cloud
documentation at https://anbox-cloud.io/docs

Are you joining this node to an existing Anbox Cloud Appliance installation? (EXPERIMENTAL) [default=no] 

Can you provide us the steps you have run or what custom configuration you have applied to the instance? Also the output of anbox-cloud-appliance.buginfo will be helpful to diagnose what went wrong in your case.

regards,
Simon

hi Simon, thank you so much for your reply

I was launching behind a NAT without external IP (the init command asks me regarding NAT configuration as part of the config so i wrongly assumed it was possible to initially provision the service in this manner using an internal IP). Thank you so much for taking the time to confirm all works from the default set up in the marketplace.

You’re welcome! Can you confirm that things now work for you?

The appliance can work behind NAT without external IP, so I am still wondering what went wrong in your case. We use the AWS meta data service to determine information about your configuration fully automatic.

Can you still provide me the output of anbox-cloud-appliance.buginfo for an instance where things failed?