Yaru next move

Thanks,
Yaru is great, this is a very good job you’ve done :slight_smile:

1 Like

@luxamman I saw your proposed mock-up with the theme drop-down and since shell theme is missing I would like to point you to my suggestion here and in Yaru gitlab (see the message this one is replying to). Even if this suggestion is not followed, it could be nice to expose the shell theme dropdown for themes other than Yaru or Adwaita. Most gtk themes match a particular shell theme provided by the same author. True, another extension has to be enabled by default, but is a small official one from upstream.

That said, I personally would prefer a single variant toggle in the control panel that switches between variants of the current shell and gtk themes, leaving more fine-grained control to Tweaks.

1 Like

Here are some relvant gitlab links related to prelight that you should/might be aware of:
https://gitlab.gnome.org/GNOME/nautilus/issues/827#note_606265
https://gitlab.gnome.org/GNOME/adwaita-icon-theme/issues/28#note_582212

Thanks for the links!

Relating on the desire for better contrast from @cartes we changed gtk and shell hover and active colors to two slightly differently transparent grays again (similar to the old theme)

grafik

grafik
->
grafik

6 Likes

This light calendar is so disturbing if you use dark theme and code at night. Also would really love if there is an ability to automatically switch the dark/white themes based on automatic night light. That manual switching is so boring. And automathemely didn’t work in disco.

Hi again. The default gtk theme is a light theme, too (except the headerbar).

Just like on all other platforms.
The default is light. And if you want to switch the global dark is one toggle away.

Sadly our toggle is only working for the app styling and your are right that it should also work for the system.

It’s still a lot of work though. Maybe you could help us with this?

This is the repository: https://github.com/Feichtmeier/gnome-shell-extension-yaru-dark-theme-toggle

1 Like

I will be working on this extension as soon as I have some free time. I would like to make it compatible with other themes (maybe switching between variants of the current theme) and also to switch between shell themes (but you need to provide Yaru-dark first for that to work with Yaru).

4 Likes

That would be awesome thanks!
Currently, the only blocking problem - due to my lack of knowledge of the available APIs - is if there’s a way to peek available themes. I can (and do) check current theme, but I don’t know if I can then check if a curtheme-dark variant exists before trying to set it. Do you maybe already know if this is possible?

Tweaks simply searches for themes in the file system: https://gitlab.gnome.org/GNOME/gnome-tweaks/blob/master/gtweak/tweaks/tweak_group_appearance.py#L63

1 Like

Now we do the same :+1:

1 Like

Great Carlo, I’m eager to work on this, just a bit overwhelmed with work these days, but in the weekend I’ll give it a try.

I think yaru-dark-theme-toggle might be a bit of a misnomer at this point. It’s not too late to change the name to something more like theme-variant-toggle. Or even the more generic but still descriptive theme-toggle, considering that in the future you might like to provide theme and not only variant switching. After all, this could be useful for people not using Ubuntu or using other themes in Ubuntu, and having to move between this extension and Tweaks is not very cool. In my mind I have something like: you define a rotation list and the toggle simply picks items in a circular fashion, perhaps with an option to follow a daily schedule. I’m not implying that that’s necessarily a good idea, but only suggesting to rename the extension so that we can keep some possibilities open. Moreover, the basic Yaru variant switching functionality is likely to be provided by gnome-control-center eventually and at that point this extension could provide richer functionality so as to make a difference for users wanting finer control. The only reason I see for severely restricting the extension to be a Yaru variant toggle is if it were to be adopted as the official Ubuntu theme switcher, but that doesn’t seem to be the case since discussion is currently focused on extending the control center instead. And even in that case a name like theme-toggle or theme-switcher in Ubuntu GitHub would be perfectly fine, so AFAICS is just a win-win situation (except for the additional work of renaming the stuff).

Also, have you considered moving this to https://gitlab.gnome.org/World/ShellExtensions?

(Btw I’m ok with the gnome-shell-extension- prefix, I just omitted it for the sake of brevity)

I agree. It currently works with Adwaita as well and Materia. I am still investigating on why it doesn’t work with Arc, probably just some naming or case misalignment.

I prefer to have a simple toggle between variants of the same theme. Looking at my Tweaks theme selector, I already have many themes and variants installed, I don’t like to end up with a long popup from the top panel. I understand that using Tweaks to change theme is longer, but better not replicate the same functionality in an extension. At least, this is my opinion.

I didn’t yet. I see only DesktopIcon there, is there a process to request a spot?

I prefer to have a simple toggle between variants of the same theme.

Me too, but there are a couple of nuances:

1. You can still have a drop-down with base themes (Adwaita, Yaru, Materia, etc) and a toggle for the variants in that theme.

2. There is also the issue of the shell theme, which could not offer the same variants, maybe just a subset of them.

I like the idea of having a drop-down for the theme disregarding complexities that are better dealt with in Tweaks: mouse pointer, shell theme. Then an heuristic could be trying to match the exact name for the shell theme or otherwise falling back to the base name (without variant). Yet this requires that themes follow a strict name convention. I think this is the case in general, but I’m not completely sure. Once the theme is set you see a choice between the variants of that theme. Maybe you could also set a time to auto-switch to the dark variant (again assuming some conventions, like a -dark suffix) or maybe to auto-switch when night mode is enabled. All in all this is a quite simple UI, at least compared to Tweaks, and rather flexible.

1 Like

is there a process to request a spot?

The option to create a new project is enabled, I assume there will be some kind of moderation but seems to be open.

Anyway, maybe you prefer to eventually host this under Ubuntu GitHub? I believe there is some subproject for Ubuntu in Gnome Gitlab also. Or do you prefer to keep this outside Ubuntu?

Sorry, I meant “a toggle between variant of current theme”, I am not a fan of drop down lists :slight_smile:

I have mixed feelings about night mode right now. Often times I switch it off, because I need proper colors, but in any case would be great to implement this feature inside night mode code, more than in an extension.

Initially, I was thinking of using Ubuntu, since the initial target was Yaru, but now that it’s more generic, it’s the same.

The feature is availble for testing

4 Likes

Enabling the shell theming is working great on my fresh 19.10 install. :slight_smile:
Is the intention to add this functionality by default on 19.10 once it’s deemed ready, or to have it by 20.04?

1 Like

Usually there is at least one update during the lifecycle of non LTS Ubuntu, so hopefully yes

1 Like