Why are non-LTS openJDK versions not updated regularly?

Hi,
I don’t use LTS openJDK because it lacks cool newest functionalities, and evolves slowly so I stick on non-LTS. I manage my packages with synaptic package manager to control the versioning, and… I noticed the latest openJDK 15 version is: 15+36-1, seriously? What’s going on? I only use BellSoft JDK for development time and the separated JRE found in repo for quick GUI tests instead of using CLI…

Are you asking https://askubuntu.com/questions/151283/why-dont-the-ubuntu-repositories-have-the-latest-versions-of-software?

Or are you asking about https://tracker.debian.org/pkg/openjdk-15?

Or are you asking something else?

Well in Debian repo looks updated… What about Ubuntu? And LTS are always up-to-date…

In which Debian repo? There are several Debian repositories.

And what exactly is not up-to-date?

I don’t know for sure, but the default one in Ubuntu isn’t. And doesn’t make sense at all, Ubuntu distro in use isn’t LTS, so the packages delivered aren’t stable or well tested as in LTS distros. The newest non-LTS openJDK isn’t up-to-date, like in repo above. But LTS ones like openJDK 8 and 11 are up-to-date. But what amuses me most is the fact openJDK 8 is EOL, even with community support, but still is updated. OpenJDK 15 has short lifetime, so they should give some importance to it…

Well, if you don’t know, what is not up-to-date, why did you open a new discussion? Normally, people are complaining, because security fix X or bug fix Y is missing in version Z.

It might start to make sense, when you inform yourself about rolling and stable releases. And also what LTS means.

As far as I know, OpenJDK 11 is in the main pocket, whereas the other versions are in the universe pocket.

OpenJDK 8 is EOL? Strange, because Red Hat is supporting OpenJDK 8 until 2026.
Why do you think, that OpenJDK 8 is EOL?

I think they are only extending support period with some security updates or important bugs fixing as maintenance, and no interesting feature will be added to ‘oldie’ 8. The people who use it today, are forced to stick on old tech of 2014, which IMHO are very remote and sloppy now. I also heard azul will support Java 8 till 2030… And sometimes I think Java is evolving slowly compared to C#… But it has changed too much in those 6 years. But that doesn’t change the fact Java 8 is legacy system, sooner or later will disappear, it’s just matter of adapting to newer reality or things.

Things are changing fast, we have to adapt for new tendencies each day. Some of us, fresh devs, will not wait to get cool features only in LTS systems. Time doesn’t stop, I don’t stop either.

The same very thing happens to Ubuntu’s distros: LTS and STR. Ubuntu 20.04 LTS was bad for me, so I migrated to Ubuntu 20.10. Even with data loss among others things in the process and newer annoying bugs introduced, I’m little happy now. I couldn’t wait for it get better (what I doubt it would) because of time factor. Time is very scarce resource… Sometimes, LTS systems are more unstable than non-LTS…

Today, I use Liberica JDK 14.0.2+13, not OpenJDK 11 and waiting for the right time, to change to 15.0.1+9. Would’ve done it before, but the OpenJDK 15+36-1 (OpenJRE exactly) found in repo is not favorable.

There is also adoptopenjdk and the Amazon one.

I personally only use lts but you have a point there. The newest non lts should at least be updated

Well, I’m not saying that I don’t use LTS systems, sometimes it’s better stick with them for stable environment and others things. However, taking advantage of new means to do something is very intuitive and good. I’m learning to program with C/C++, even if they’re “old school” programming languages. I think they’re cool in their own way. I use mostly non-LTS systems for demanding tasks, but I didn’t forsake or neglect LTS… There are many cool old systems still in use nowadays, and are good in their assignments.