Where has Ubuntu Unity gone?

The Ubuntu Unity 24.04 daily ISO has not changed since 2024-02-27 13:30
There is no information or mention of it recently. Does anyone know what is happening with it?

Ubuntu Unity has gone nowhere. Due to the time_t64 transition a number of items and build dependencies for some Ubuntu flavor images have been hung-up in the archive causing build failures.

Iā€™m fairly certain this is due to nemo, the file manager, being hung-up in the proposed repository, unable to migrate, due to its dependencies also unable to migrate due to the transition. This also affect Ubuntu Budgie and Ubuntu Cinnamon.

4 Likes

see here to find out if you will have an ISO to try
https://launchpad.net/~ubuntu-cdimage/+livefs/ubuntu/noble/ubuntu-unity

Those are all ā€œFailed to buildā€ and for good reason as I just outlined above. It doesnā€™t answer the question.

1 Like

Looking daily at the page in my link you know that ubuntu unity is still alive, somebody is working on it and when a ā€˜goodā€™ Iso is available.

The daily build is run automatically by a cron job, so no, thereā€™s nobody hitting a button there, meaning itā€™s a poor indicator. Ubuntu Studio had the same thing for about six months before I finally got ahold of it 6 years ago. Thatā€™s just the Canonical infrastructure at work.

That said, I can unequivocally say that Ubuntu Unity is in no danger because Iā€™m in constant contact with @rs2009 and the other flavor leads as a flavor lead myself.

In order to know if a flavor is still alive, you ask the people who know, which is what the OP did, and what I answered. Seeing if a daily build is automatically building is not an indicator of that at all.

4 Likes