What's happening in Noble repositories?

No, hence the reason we have tools like Timeshift, and Clonezilla. A development box is not a production machine.

Words are hard, and they have multiple meanings.

A development machine is absolutely a production machine.

As in, you have it in production use, for development.

The development release is and and always has been unstable, and not recommended for anyone to use other than those contributing to Ubuntu, and testing Ubuntu.

Also, coming here to tell us you had to restore an important (to you) system from backup is a fantastic story to tell :tada: . Please tell more people to have backups of their important systems. Even if they install the wrong release on it :wink:

6 Likes

Thinking is harder, concepts are concrete and abstract. A development release unstable? Really? Where would you put such a release? Surely not anywhere near a development machine. Thanks for enlighting us.

Your comment is not productive.

Hah! Okay!

• Development machine (where development of Ubuntu happens) obviously can run the in development release of Ubuntu. Many of the Ubuntu developers do this, clearly.

• Development machine (where development of something other than Ubuntu happens) is “in production” as a development machine. No, I wouldn’t run the development version of Ubuntu on that machine, no.

And if we’re picking holes in the productiveness of comments. You joined a thread in which there was an existing conversation for days about how things are a little unstable to tell us things are unstable. :man_shrugging:

We know

4 Likes

In other words, development versions of Ubuntu are nightly/alpha/beta versions. They are not versions of Ubuntu targeted to developers (unlike how Firefox has a version of Firefox targeting web developers: https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/developer/).

2 Likes

Speaking as an Ubuntu developer, though, that’s usually in a virtual machine or a container.

That is great. I looked through your commits. Definitely great you’re helping out with documentation. I need to get back to my drivers. I have a deadline. Enjoy your week.

I’d just like to note a practical development within the last like 1-2 days…I have 24.04 (upgraded from 22.04) on one VM and (with systemback making a USB installer) a pair of Core 2 Duo notebooks (they are “a tad” slow but great screen, keyboard, and speakers and Steam remote play runs perfect on them.)

I’m a hit and a miss on these… I noticed the updates of the last 1-2 days or so resulted in no GUI.

The VM, I got to actually fully updated state, no more held back packages and nothing missing! The other system, i knocked it offline (network-manager removed…) so it could not download packages to recover things (and since my install on it only took 10 minutes I decided to not try a heroic recovery).

About a week ago, after I saw “aptitude full-upgrade” and “aptitude upgrade” were both proposing mass deletions, I did “apt upgrade” after that. This removed (most of) libreoffice, aptitude, and cheese but everything kept working otherwise.

On the VM – first, I realized I still had winehq-staging on there; so I removed winehq-staging, wine-staging, wine-staging-amd64 and wine-staging-i386. Then “apt autoremove” (which removed evince but otherwise just a bunch of libs, including the i386 ones wine was using). “apt upgrade” installed some packages but was still holding back loads of packages (and breaking the desktop), but “apt full-upgrade” then upgraded everything, no more held back packages and a fully functional system!

So the last week of “apt full-upgrade” removed aptitude, cheese, (most of) libreoffice, and more recently evince. So aptitude, cheese, and libreoffice installed zero issues. “apt install evince” wouldn’t go, but “aptitude install evince” replaced like 3 or 4 libs and installed it.

The notebook, before I got a chance to try “aptitude upgrade”, the last “apt upgrade” uninstalled network-manager knocking it off line. Since installing Ubuntu + Steam took like 10 minutes, I decided not to do any heroics to recover it; like copy the needed .deb files over on a USB stick, or get it back online with ethernet or figure out how to supply a WPA2 password via CLI or whatever.

Cheese has been removed because will be replaced by gnome-snapshot

Ubuntu 24.04 Swaps Cheese for GNOME Snapshot

Joey Sneddon tells us Ubuntu 24.04 LTS will be using Snapshot as its default webcam app (replacing Cheese). We’re given some history of Ubuntu and the Cheese app, before moving to GNOME’s replacement Snapshot app. We’re also told that Cheese exists in the repositories should we prefer it.

My Ubuntu Noble installed from ISO dated 2024-03-24 and updated daily works very well.
Only once i was forced to do full-upgrade to bypass a problem.

Ah cool. I don’t mind a nice cheese replacement. Works for me!

Anyway – great job!

As a very long-time Linux user, I went through LFS (greater than 2GB file size support) transition; a.out (libc4) to ELF (libc5); libc5 to libc6. And I must say this was the smoothest of them!

This is probably not the place for this discussion BUT the dev branch of noble actually seems pretty stable to me - as a newbie who ignorantly upgraded his PC’s stable Ubuntu 22.04 LTS to 24.04 dev branch. Claiming this because I’ve ran a number of "apt upgrade"s until this point.

[Back-story: I was way too careless and didn’t bother to check what the -d flag does in do-release-upgrade. Though I don’t know why trying do-release-upgrade alone - initially - didn’t show me the option to upgrade to 23.10. Anyways, I basically got tired and blindly followed an online instruction just for the thrill of upgrading.]

Note that I already had a bunch of stuff pre-installed from jammy and after software-properties-gtk was fixed, I’m still using repos meant for jammy to keep my Brave, OBS, MikTeX and FSearch up to date. I don’t really know how secure that is but I’ve already done it. I guess I can’t complain now. Constructive advice is welcome. Thank you for your time and patience.

Now things are back to a roughly normal state.
We maybe could close this thread?

Bring on the new builds. Delighted to see the daily builds back up and updated. I can resist anything but temptation. Let’s give it a spin.

With the arrival of the new ISO I think it can be closed.
I installed the new ISO on 2 PC and it seems working well.

2 Likes

I noticed that several amd64 packages were migrated to t64, among others libgtk-3-0 (which is now libgtk-3-0t64: Ubuntu – Details of package libgtk-3-0t64 in noble)

Why is that necessary (or was it a mistake)? amd64 always had 64bit time_t, I thought this change would only affect 32bit packages?

They are not migrated on x86 but since this is causing incompatible symbol changes of the ABI, this change needs to be reflected in the package name as per debian policy…(which is then indeed visible on all arches)

2 Likes

Thanks for the explanation!

They are not migrated on x86

I guess you mean “on amd64” or “on x86_64”?

So all packages containing native binaries will be renamed to *t64 on all platforms that support 64bit time_t (no matter if they have done so before or not)?

This looks like a quite invasive change - TBH I’m surprised it was apparently rolled out about a month before release…

No, i mean the greater x86 architecture (namely i386 and amd64 in dpkg terms)

The tramsition has started ages ago in debian and has been happening in ubuntu since package syncing from debian started for noble. But it went arguably rather slow which is why it is visible to endusers testing noble now.

2 Likes

The tramsition has started ages ago in debian and has been happening in ubuntu since package syncing from debian started for noble.

But even in Debian it’s not done yet (or if it is, only since a few days), at least https://wiki.debian.org/ReleaseGoals/64bit-time says

The t64 transition is ongoing (end March 2024) in Debian

Well, I wish you good luck with all this, I hope we can get a usable, stable (and updatable) 24.04 release in the foreseeable future - and many thanks to everyone working their ass off to make it happen, especially now that the xz disaster makes it even harder! <3

1 Like

I have just installed the “Beta” release of today and I see that all of these packaging issues are now FIXED. I just want to take a minute to give all the developers that got involved in all this XZ package rebuilding madness a huge round of applause. Seriously - on behalf of the community, job well done!

5 Likes