What is this?

It has appeared in ‘activities/applications’ recently. Never seen it before, and can’t think why one would need to run this manually. (Ubuntu 18.04)
Screenshot-20180621152907-171x212

Strange! - I don’t see it in my system. :thinking: I have logout,reboot,shutdown. maybe an icon mismatch.

It does open a login window when clicked - when I right click ‘show details’ it opens a blank Ubuntu Software window. Hope it isn’t some sort of malware …

Might be a older one residue !

Maybe, but I don’t ever recall seeing it before in my app overlay in Gnome.

Do you also have logout icon there? What if you change icon set, is it still there?

No & Yes, (changed back to default icon set, still there). :thinking:

Can you check the entry in a menu editor like Alacarte and see what it’s actually trying to run?

Does Alacarte work with the Gnome-Shell? I’ll install it and check this out - thanks for the reminder of that application, forgot all about it.

Yep, the shell works with Alacarte - it just ignores the categories. There’s a newer menu editor that uses a headerbar, I just forgot the name of it.

Off topic : How did you start a topic without any category ?

Beats me, I just did. :man_shrugging:

Hm, well it didn’t appear in “AlaCarte”, but on 2nd thought I re-ran the application, and using the string I could see b4 being cut-off ran a grep search:

share/xgreeters/slick-greeter.desktop               :2 :Name=Slick Greeter                                                              
share/xgreeters/slick-greeter.desktop               :3 :Comment=Slick Greeter                                                           
share/polkit-1/actions/org.x.lightdm-settings.policy:12:    <message>Please enter your password to configure the slick greeter</message>

So mystery solved, I had installed Budgie (since removed). Must be a artifact of that install? I didn’t install lightdm on my own.
Thanks for all the helpful responses, people!

1 Like

Have you check desktop managers rather than gnome like custom theme might be a problem …

1 Like

Yes, I believe its a remnant of a previous desktop.