Vanilla Remix (Ubuntu but with Adwaita UX)

Love the idea of having an official Vanilla Ubuntu Gnome. Be aware that there is already a project called VanillaOS that has just kind of done this. But looking forward to what happens here.

Does this need to be a complete ISO re-spin as i wondered if this could be done via a script to the standard Ubuntu after install?

You could say the same thing about all Ubuntu derivatives: you could install kubuntu by adding KDE, etc.
The reason why an ISO remix is beneficial is because it is easier than a script you donā€™t need to edit system config files or do package management

2 Likes

By the way, I have the wallpaper package up on my PPA. Progress isnā€™t going too fast, but I got some stuff working.

That makes sense, i didnā€™t think of that.

What about Vubuntu, Vabuntu, Vanbuntu or even just Plain Remix?

edit

Vubuntu is taken (# VNC + Ubuntu = Vubuntu)

This is Adwaita Remix because Adwaita is the theme used by vanilla GNOME. Also, especially after the libadwaita controversy, almost everyone in the desktop GNU/Linux community are aware of it. So most users should be able to know what this is.

Will you be sticking with just the applications that come with standard Gnome desktop such as the Epiphany browser rather than Firefox or Chrome?

1 Like

@dch82 If you are still facing issues with framerate, maybe try this video for Plymouth animation

https://github.com/meetdilip/Adwaita-Remix-Art

A quick preview

Adwaita Remix

Updated the repo with " The Rise of Adwaita " animation.

Added " Adwaita Remix Blue " animation to the repo. I like this one :slight_smile:

I think that I will use GNOME apps except for when they are put on flatpak and snap (my ISO customiser, cubic is a chroot environment). Otherwise I will use the standard Ubuntu packages

1 Like

Thatā€™s cool, i just wondered how Vanilla you planned on going. :slight_smile:

If anyone knows someone that could help, please contact them. I need some people who are experienced in:

• Plymouth themes
  • Ubiquity themes
  • Maybe packagers, depending if I can modify existing packages
    ThanksšŸ˜ƒ

I canā€™t provide reference but I understand that Ubuntuā€™s Technical Board said a long time ago that there will be no more *buntus so Kubuntu, Xubuntu, Lubuntu and the revived Edubuntu will be the last flavours with such naming.

Personally Iā€™d like to see Ubuntu GNOME, both the flavour and name, resurrected.

All recent flavour additions have had the name of their desktop environment included in the flavour name. If your ultimate wish is to become an official flavour then a name change might be necessary. The instigators of the flavours which include the GNOME, MATE, Budgie and Unity desktops have all gone down this route. Ubuntu Cinnamon might also become an official flavour too. The current official naming convention for flavours is something that you might want to checkout now if you havenā€™t already.

Iā€™d very much like to see something that was more than just a theme change. Ubuntu GNOME reverted some of the changes that were made by Ubuntuā€™s Desktop Team to vanilla GNOME by changing default applications, installed extensions and settings in the Control Center.

I wish you well and the best of luck in whatever you choose as your ultimate goal.

2 Likes

Just use caution here. The Technical Board is on record as saying no official Ubuntu flavor will be allowed to have flatpaks included by default. The package flatpak is allowed, but not individual flatpaks that would otherwise be installed by flatpak install.

I apologize, for I cannot find a specific reference at this time (just time limited right now).

3 Likes

Do you know if any of the project team are still about?

Like @eeickmeyer said,

Ubuntu GNOME was, as of 17.10, ā€œabsorbedā€ into Ubuntu Desktop. The flavor lead of Ubuntu GNOME, @jbicha, now works for Canonical on the Desktop

Iā€™m finding the project much harder than I thought. Iā€™m starting to wonder if we are duplicating Vanilla OSā€™ efforts. But again, it is like the difference between KDE neon and Kubuntu. Iā€™ll try Vanilla OS tonight to see how itā€™s like.

EDIT: It basically accomplishes what we are doing but with immutability, flatpak and an absence of snap

1 Like

After a few days of Vanilla OS, I realised that our project is redundant: the power users who would choose Ubuntu with vanilla GNOME over Vanilla OS and stock Ubuntu would have the ability to install vanilla-gnome-desktop or some equivalent package. Although this project is cancelled, if anyone wants to try, they can.

Thanks, @meetdilip @espio347 @eeickmeyer and everyone else whoā€™s helped me on this project.
Thank you.