Upgrading Multipass on Windows

I have multipass already installed under Windows. How cam i upgrade to the latest release without losing my running instances?

@matifali When upgrading, there is a popup asking whether you want to remove instances. Are your instances being removed even if you answer no?

How do you actually “upgrade” on Windows 10? Should I uninstall the existing app or just overwrite it? Will I need to backup anything if I am not going to uninstall first? Tried Googling but not coming up with answers. TIA

Hi @atlas, you just need to run the new installer - it will ask you whether to uninstall the old version first.

If you want to keep your data, answer “No” to the relevant question on the uninstaller.

I’ve also been confused by the Windows upgrade process, I couldn’t seem to find any documentation on it and this old post is the only relevant search result that pops up. Hopefully the below helps someone!

I’m trying to upgrade from 1.5 to 1.6.2 on Windows. I’ve downloaded the installer and run it. The first prompt you see is:

“Multipass is already installed.”
“Do you want to uninstall the old version before installing the new one?”
[OK] [Cancel]

It’s not completely clear if this means it will uninstall the old version AND remove the running instances. If you click Cancel the installer exits with no change.

However if you click OK and then select the install location, this leads to another prompt that gives the option “Do you want to remove all multipass instances, settings and cached data?” - if you click NO at this point, your existing instances will be preserved.

Hope this helps someone else!

Cheers,
Mark

I’ve added a section on our “Installing on Windows” doc:

Thanks saviq, appreciate the quick response.

Cheers,
Mark