Unity Logo

Here’s my new proposal. In this new version I kept the ubuntu unity symbol of my previous draft while introducing a new stylish and minimal “circle of friends” (it looks like for some people it’s really important). I wanted to create something minimal, light and elegant and I kinda like the final result. Please give me your feedbacks.

4 Likes

7 Likes

This is amazing! Excelent job

1 Like

Simply the best. Nice job man!

1 Like

(EN) It really is incredible. It is a pity that now the wallpapers that I have produced so far will lose their sense of existence, which on the other hand leaves me a little bit down.

(PT) Realmente, está incrível. É uma pena que agora os papéis de parede que eu produzi até agora vão perder o sentido de existir, o que por outro lado me deixa um pouco pra baixo.

2 Likes

Thank you mate, I really like your wallpapers though. I can give you the SVGs, so you can try to adapt them to this design. I used the official color palette though… I also need to make a whirl icon for the launcher. I would like it to be vector, so… If you want to help let me know :slight_smile:

1 Like

This wallpaper is possible to convert with the new logo. In my opinion, it will become better

Mate… I understand and I agree that the work of @neffscape it’s awesome! But I really enjoyed more what @anon66904900 has done…

Because it’s feels more like a spin in the logo and what it represents. Really liked the answers for maintained the original Unity logo and create a variant using it’s bases. But , as I said, at least for me the newer one it’s a master refresh on the interface.

(Forgot to put my arranjment of the last version)

Although, it’s a excellent work what both of them did, just to clear that I’m not intend to bash anyone :wink:

1 Like

Thank you everybody for the nice feedbacks, yesterday evening I polished the final version and I created a white variant of the logo (to be used on coloured backgrounds). Now I’m not at home but I will post them later. I’ll be sharing with you guys the SVGs in order to make possible other contributions (new wallpapers, GDM themes, Ubiquity slideshows etc. @anon66904900 please let’s work together, no need to feed sad. You’re a very talented guy and I’m really open to suggestions and to other people helping out. The only thing I really stand for is good design and good motivations behind it (if it becomes a matter of taste everybody can like or dislike something). What I’m trying here is to create something new while preserving Unity identity. That’s why I really want a whirl icon for the launcher to complete the iconset. I’ve nothing against becoming modern, but because Unity is not a completely new DE and has been developed for 10 years, it really can take advantage of this experience and build upon it. We’re not starting over from scratch so for me a completely new and disconnected from the past design is not a desirable move at this point. If we lose our past we’re nothing than a bunch newbies playing around with our toy :slight_smile:

2 Likes

If we lose our past in any subject of life, we are nothing literally.

1 Like

Ok guys, this is how the logo looks in white over a simple gradient of the official colour palette.

6 Likes

This one looks very minimalist and perfect

1 Like

(EN):

I waited for this weekend to pass so I could understand everything that was decided, so let’s get to the main points:

• I am waiting for a response from Rudra on this issue of my contributions, how will my situation within the project.

• I am not against the adoption of the new logo that the Discourse community approved, but as this sudden change took place, it affected me a little and I needed some time.

• If Rudra allows me to continue taking care of that part (visual and identity of the remix, I don’t intend to use the Ubuntu color palette, as I already have a color preview that I chose to differentiate it from the main version of the system. I will not modify the wallpapers that I created with the previous logo in respect to the main ideas that I put in and inspired the moment they left the paper.

• I don’t work with SVG for one reason: I developed / develop the wallpapers, logos, icons and posters on my Android smartphone. It doesn’t support SVG natively, that’s why I use PNG at high resolutions to give the developed image a higher quality. Everything you saw here that I sent was produced in it.

(PT):

Esperei esse final de semana passar para poder compreender tudo o que foi decidido, então vamos aos pontos principais:

• Eu estou aguardando uma resposta do Rudra sobre essa questão das minhas contribuições, como vai ficar minha situação dentro do projeto.

• Eu não sou contra a adoção do novo logotipo que a comunidade Discourse aprovou, mas como ocorreu essa mudança brusca, isso me afetou um pouco e eu precisava de um tempo.

• Se o Rudra me permitir continuar cuidando dessa parte (visual e identidade do remix, eu não pretendo usar a paleta de cores do Ubuntu, pois já tenho uma prévia de cores que escolhi para diferenciá-lo da versão principal do sistema. Não irei modificar os papeis de parede que eu criei com o logotipo anterior em respeito as ideias principais que coloquei e me inspirei no momento que eles saíram do papel.

• Eu não trabalho com SVG por um motivo: eu desenvolvi/desenvolvo os papéis de parede, logotipos, ícones e pôsters no meu smartphone Android. Ele não suporta SVG nativamente, por isso mesmo eu uso o PNG em resoluções altas para dar maior qualidade a imagem desenvolvida. Tudo o que vocês viram aqui que eu mandei, foi produzido nele.

I am not against the adoption of the new logo that the Discourse community approved, but as this sudden change took place, it affected me a little and I needed some time.

I’m sorry mate… that’s not what I wanted, also I didn’t knew you received an “official endorsement” from @rs2009 as official graphic designer / Art director. On my part, I’ve a multi year experience in corporate communication design, and I know how to do my job. I just wanted to give my contribution and work with other passionate people like me. If this is a one man show, I’ll be leaving it to you .

If Rudra allows me to continue taking care of that part (visual and identity of the remix, I don’t intend to use the Ubuntu color palette, as I already have a color preview that I chose to differentiate it from the main version of the system.

The official palette was used in the past in the unity desktop, so I thought it fitted pretty nicely. Also, at the beginning of this thread the palette was shared by a Canonical fellow along with the corporate identity rules. If we wish to become an official flavour, I think it would be wise to at least try to conform to those rules. I’ve nothing against building a different color scheme but please note that your current palette (not the official one) is exactly the same already used by ubuntu budgie.

I will not modify the wallpapers that I created with the previous logo in respect to the main ideas that I put in and inspired the moment they left the paper.

That’s your decision.

I don’t work with SVG

That’s REALLY a bad idea even if you work in large sizes.

I developed / develop the wallpapers, logos, icons and posters on my Android smartphone. It doesn’t support SVG natively, that’s why I use PNG at high resolutions to give the developed image a higher quality. Everything you saw here that I sent was produced in it.

It’s a very unusual way to work at a professional level, but it’s really interesting. Which tools do you use? Why do you use your smartphone instead of a regular PC (maybe the one you use with Ubuntu Unity?).

1 Like

Well I already talked to him, so here we go:

@neffscape could you provide me with the logo you created in SVG for me to download and start producing wallpapers and other items? I will start doing this week and try to deliver everything from that week.

On the color palette, I will follow your recommendation.

About SVG, I produce on Android because my notebook is old and it no longer has the processing power necessary for me to work with it, so I use the smartphone. Unfortunately, I don’t know of a PNG to SVG converter that is efficient.

On Android, I use Pixel Lab, Background Eraser and Gallery KK, along with Microsoft Paint, on Windows 8.1.

(I was not able to master the use of GIMP, because it seems a little complex.)

2 Likes

@anon66904900

Here they are:

Let me know if you need help :slight_smile:

1 Like

People are voting which logo to pick:
Please participate to the poll here

Telegram: https://t.me/ubuntuunitydiscuss/2672

Twitter: https://twitter.com/ubuntu_unity/status/1262650931222462464?s=20

The first one looks like the logo for Shazam though:

I like the second one though very much.

Final results of the polls carried out on Telegram and Twitter:

With this decision by the community, I consider this issue to be definitively closed.

Thanks to everyone who wants my logo to continue being used as part of the Remix, and to those who didn’t vote for it, I understand that I can’t please everyone, but I will continue to do my best to be able to reach everyone.

1 Like

Congratulations @anon66904900

4 Likes