Unity 7 Theme Ideas and Concepts

And the icon for the FM (unfinished): fm-ic1

1 Like

Nice! Have you seen the Yaru-Unity theme, posted by @c-lobrano above? I think that is a really well done implementation of the Yaru theme in unity7. It should be adopted as default theme IMHO.

2 Likes

Yes, it shapes out nicely, but this is what I think:
I would insist on making the window decoration colours the same as in Yaru at the moment i.e. grey, not brown. It will make it look more neutral and work with more wallpapers.
The window control buttons, as they currently are, donā€™t look so good, and after experimenting with them myself I find the circled look to be better. Here the spacing between the buttons is the same as in Ambience.
And the top bar, if left in solid colour, not transparent, it should be like this (also the current ubuntu colour):
maximised1
as it works better with the subtle gradient in the tool-bar.

Hereā€™s a little mock-up for the window control buttons behaviour:
wndw-ctrl_anim1

2 Likes

Quite nice, Iā€™d say!

Unity has started looking a bit like GNOME, thoughā€¦

Did anyone create a theme for this mockup?

Nah, no one did, did they?

@elvispen Would you provide the full images of mockups? It can help to identify all details, maybe a GIF image or something related ā€¦

yes, iā€™ll upload a vector file with everything there soon

Hereā€™s the file with the theme elements:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/zaqafplteqezcaf/unity-yaru_theme-elements01.svg?dl=0

Open it in Inkscape as some other viewers may cut the content partly.

2 Likes

what do you things for notifcation ? notifyOSD is a little bit old and I think it doesnā€™t support somethins, firefox notification.
A idea, maybe its used mate-notificaion ?

Hi all, I guess we need a website

I can make a website, but i need to know what kind of information do you think that is relevant.

2 Likes

Hi. Thanks for keeping Unity alive. Any plan to fix / patch this?

a

@khurshid-alam and @rauldipeas, is there any way to solve this problem?

I used to try this solution in the nautilus, I donā€™t know whether there is a way to the other apps. (https://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2017/02/how-to-enable-nautilus-csd-header-bar-ubuntu)

PS: It may result in black corners, but I remember that theme can solve that.

Iā€™m sure it has been patched by the Unity team in the past, but after adopting Gnome they of course stopped doing it. It may be an option to replace it with something like Xed, but I wouldnā€™t want to do that as it lacks the Quick Open plugin (which is fantastic, check it out if you donā€™t know it, as itā€™s disabled by default in gEdit). The other option may be to make it use CSD, so it simply looks and works like on gnome.

3 Likes

To be fair I reckon itā€™s time to give up on some of the gnome apps and switch to xapps or similar. Some of unityā€™s best features donā€™t work with CSD and look plain weird.

1 Like

If I remember correctly, thereā€™s a gtk-mushroom (or something name like that) to patch GNOME CSD. But I donā€™t know that gonna work on Ubuntu or not

2 Likes