Unity 7 Continuation - Call for Developers and Supporters!

I can remaster live isos and from installed ones, but creating application packages is something else. I know how to go to chroot and do some simple bash commands. What you need in your team is some people, who can code, because you’d need to maintain app packages.

I can create another experimental iso for the team to use. I can only re-master from what’s available, but can’t maintain it.

We are not asking you to maintain it, just:
Use 17.10 release ISO
Remove other desktops:
Install unity-session:
update/upgrade to 18.04
create ubuntu-unity-amd64.iso

If you can’t I’ll use pinguybuilder to do it.

Regards…

Yes, I know that. My proposal for the simple ubuntu-unity as a name was for a later usage.
For now you can use anything comfortable.

1 Like

OK, in a few day’s time. I’ll let you know, when its ready.

2 Likes

I created an 18.04 unity build with pinguybuilder which is 1.1GB. It has problems with ubiquity of course but I was able to create a workaround by using option to create ext4 filesystem. The live ISO worked fine and the hard install went well also. So we have out first 18.04 ISO build . I’ll decide later whether to put it up at PeopleUbuntuCom.

Regards…

1 Like

On the naming bikeshed, I like Ubuntu CommUnity :wink:

4 Likes

Nice one :slight_smile:

Ha ! Nice one. Maybe with an m less to avoid any confusion (?)

Maybe, ComUnibuntu with one m?

I was thinking , maybe , keep it simple , unobtrusive for now. Here is a splash screen I made up with imagemagic and gimp.
ubuntu3

Early days for naming. We (You) said that previously.
When the time comes, I suggest an Open Poll and let the community decide.

And I saw the splash screen and I thought “We should make a call for designers at some point” :stuck_out_tongue:

Agreed. I was just throwing it up there :wink:

I would suggest rather than just getting together a list then polling. Get the list, talk to legal to make sure there’s no issues - then poll if that’s what you want to do.

Bear in mind if there’s a poll and you don’t like what the ‘people’ choose - hard place meet rock :wink:

@flocculant

I had already sent a mail to the list and had contacted CL (it’s been posted ) :slight_smile:

Which team leader khurshid and another member replied in the affirmative. So thats a quorum from the unity7 maintainer’s team. I am still awaiting to hear from CL. … so bases have been covered. I think it best to expedite this process so we can get rolling on this project. If you feel the community at large (non members of unity7 maintainers team) should be listed and polled then I certainly invite you to carry on and start a poll if you would like and, also, the current team would certainly be benefited with your expertise if you were to join the team and , of course that invitation goes out to all of the community.

Regards…

1 Like

Yes I know that. Since then you’ve had other suggestions, all I’m saying is that if you’re going to poll - ensure they are acceptable names. :man_shrugging:

if/when I hear from CL will let y’all know :family_man_woman_girl_boy:

Bionic_Unity7

What do you say?

2 Likes

Beautiful… but I’m not moving further until the above.

Thanks

OK about further work. What do you think about the name on the bottom of the login screen? Not the wallpaper.

Honestly thats the fly in the ointment right now. The ball is now in the court of Canonical Legal. I will not budge any further until I get a permission. If the community wants to create an off-Canonical distribution then it is free open source community and I wish them well.

Regards…

Edit: Some movement with CL.
Waiting for clarification. may take a little while.