Unity 7.6 released for testing

Which GPU are you using?

I noticed that repo.unityx.org has been down for the past couple days. Will it be restored, or will the Unity 7.6 update be hosted somewhere else? Thanks.

1 Like

It should be back up. However, I’m migrating to an LP PPA for builds. Also, we’ve got some huge changes in Unity and Unity Control Center for the final release of 7.6.

1 Like

Thank you; I ran the updates today per your Reddit announcement. Everything is running perfectly.

After logging in to unity session it showed “a problem occured that system can’t recover, Please logout and try again” I tried and it didn’t worked anywya how to find the problem? Or to solve it?

You need to install the dbus-x11 package on Ubuntu

Hello, is it possible to add the changes made to NotifyOSD in these repositories to future versions of Unity?
https://itsfoss.com/notifications-appindicator/
https://www.fossmint.com/notifyosd-desktop-notification-bubbles-in-ubuntu/

The current notification system is unpractical, or is it possible to replace NotifyOSD entirely for another notification system?

I, I am trying to build from gitlab sources, but the build process hang at a very early stage :

dh_auto_configure: error: cd obj-x86_64-linux-gnu && cmake -DCMAKE_INSTALL_PREFIX=/usr -DCMAKE_BUILD_TYPE=None -DCMAKE_INSTALL_SYSCONFDIR=/etc -DCMAKE_INSTALL_LOCALSTATEDIR=/var -DCMAKE_EXPORT_NO_PACKAGE_REGISTRY=ON -DCMAKE_FIND_USE_PACKAGE_REGISTRY=OFF -DCMAKE_FIND_PACKAGE_NO_PACKAGE_REGISTRY=ON "-GUnix Makefiles" -DCMAKE_VERBOSE_MAKEFILE=ON -DCMAKE_INSTALL_LIBDIR=lib/x86_64-linux-gnu -DCOMPIZ_BUILD_WITH_RPATH=FALSE -DCOMPIZ_PACKAGING_ENABLED=TRUE -DCOMPIZ_PLUGIN_INSTALL_TYPE=package .. returned exit code 1
make[1]: *** [debian/rules:34 : override_dh_auto_configure] Erreur 2
make[1] : on quitte le répertoire « /home/bigbob/tmp/Building/unity/unity »
make: *** [debian/rules:63 : build] Erreur 2
dpkg-buildpackage: erreur: debian/rules build subprocess returned exit status 2
debuild: fatal error at line 1182:
dpkg-buildpackage -us -uc -ui -b failed
bigbob@bigbob-UX31A:~/tmp/Building/unity/unity$

Is there any advice on this error ?

After giving a test drive to Ubuntu 22.10 with Gnome 43 I have to admit nothing comes close to the Unity HUD. That pretty much confirms how forward thinking Unity is.

2 Likes

Just wanted ti chip in to say good you’re doing an amazing job so far as the steward of unity.

3 Likes

Any plans on switching from Pulseaudio to Pipewire?

I noticed that Unity still has Pulseaudio as dependency.

Hi, not sure if this is the right place to report this.

I have switched to unity-desktop from stock Ubuntu by installing unity 7.6 from the ppa. Everything works great except for one little glitch. The dash search stops working maybe once everyday. The icons are showing but if you try to search for something nothing turns up. Search works again after running sudo updatedb in the terminal.

I install with the btrfs file system, not sure if this is relevant.

Thanks.

edited: This only happens to file search. It seems that it is because I disabled tracker since it is using a lot of cpu, I remember file search in unity used not to depend on tracker. Is tracker also installed in the ubuntu unity flavor?

Turned out btrfs is the culprit here.

locate is not searching mounted volume.

the fix is to edit the file /etc/updatedb.conf and change PRUNE_BIND_MOUNTS = “yes” with PRUNE_BIND_MOUNTS = “no".

Now the dash file search is working again.

Sorry for the false alarm. It is not unity’s fault.

Thanks for the great job by the unity team.

2 Likes