Unable to take a screenshot when a dropdown is open

I truly love Ubuntu and Ubuntu has been the primary OS I’ve been using for the last few years. I’ve used Ubuntu 18.04, 19.04, 19.10, 20.04, and I am now using 20.10. There is one bug I’ve found that has consistently bothering me is that I am not able to take a screenshot with a drop down open, even by pressing the Print Screen key. It just stops functioning when a drop-down is open. It does not matter where the drop down is. It can be either on the UI of a default Ubuntu application or a web page.

Does anyone else experience the same issue? Is this something that can be fixed in next updates/releases? I am not even sure this is the right place to report this bug.

Thank you.

I sort of think this is a bug of the GNOME Screenshot application.

1 Like

start GNOME Screenshot, set ‘delay in seconds’ to a sufficient time, select ‘capture screen’, click ‘take screenshot’ and open your drop-down…

1 Like

Yeah that’s the workaround I’ve been using. Nevertheless, in order to include the drop down in the screenshot, I MUST choose to take the whole screen. It just does not work for a window or a selected area. This is quite irritating because when I do that, I got a whole large screenshot, then need to use an image editor like GIMP to edit out the parts that should not be there. I would want to simply press CTRL + Shift + Print Screen, select an area of the screen, and save it either directly to the clipboard or to the file system. When a drop down is open, the key combination just does not work. I’ve never done system programming so I don’t really know how difficult it is to fix this.

This is a long standing bug in X for many, many years. There is no “fix”, only workarounds.

1 Like