Ubuntu Web Remix

Firefox makes a version for https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/KaiOS that allows individual fine grain controls and permissions for apps. Not sure if it would be helpful in this context but might be of interest.

1 Like

Will this remix work on the older netbooks also? I have an Acer Aspire One netbook that would definitely benefit from a light OS such as this. Apparently there is no more Ubuntu NBR?

when do you expect to release the Raspberry Pi 4 variant?

This looks like it would benefit a lot by adding in either ICE from Peppermint or the new Web App Manager being developed by the Linux Mint team. This way the web apps would have dedicated windows that still run on Firefox under the hood and leaving the Firefox app for better focused web browsing.

Why to use whole Ubuntu, because we can use Ubuntu server and then boot into a window manager like open box, or ice, etc. And then only install firefox. Why to install the complete Ubuntu?

Furthermore we can use arch or even Gentoo to get the most minimal operating system to load to load Firefox.

Ubuntu web sounds amazing.
But why not rely entirely on PWAs and complement them with your own APIs?
Instead of inventing a standard?
Mircosoft and others follow this approach, PWAs would immediately run everywhere.
In my opinion, firefoxOS failed, among other things, because of its own packaged app standard.

WebStore doesnā€™t work. I just get:

You donā€™t have permission to access the resource.

The resource that you are attempting to access is protected and you donā€™t have the necessary permissions to view it.

Additionally, Anbox opens but freezes and does not allow any interaction.

Does the kernel used here have the same modifications used in GalliumOS to make Chromebooks work well or is that possible in the future? On my Dell Chromebook 11 I can install any Linux distro but the sound doesnā€™t work except on GalliumOS as it as a kernel patch to fix the problem.

@digitalisetherium Iā€™ve fixed the issue. It should hopefully work fine now.

@digitalisetherium I had mentioned in the release notes that Anbox does not work properly in the live session or in a VM. Please install the LiveCD on physical hardware for Anbox to work properly.

@nick0515 I wasnā€™t aware of these modifications to the Linux kernel in GalliumOS. Iā€™ll work on including these modifications to the kernel in Ubuntu Web.

An interesting Reddit thread that might help in the meantime: https://www.reddit.com/r/GalliumOS/comments/6cnb3c/running_the_galliumos_kernel_on_other_nongallium/

Ooh thanks for the link! Will take a look. Iā€™m very keen to try you distro though as it seems closer to the original ChromeOS way of doing things. Is it easy to integrate other Nextcloud instances instead of the default /e/ nextcloud set up? GalliumOS have different versions of the install file depending on the processor of the Chromebook. https://galliumos.org/download

1 Like

so this ā€˜wubuntuā€™ is for smart appliances only?

Hi There!

Any news on the ARM edition? :slight_smile:

Thanks!

Hey, what a great release! Iā€™ve been running it as my main OS for a few days, and itā€™s been a great experience! I especially love the Android integration and the Desktop Shortcuts. Itā€™s nice to see how simple it is to make new web apps, and I might try to make a few of my own.

I was quite impressed by the defaults you have chosen. Wayland is a lot smoother than Xorg and compatibility has been perfect so far. The Adapta theme is one of my favorites, and so is Gnomeā€™s dash to panel. It brings forward the Web side and takes the Desktop out of the way!

Is there a specific reason you have chosen to not include Ubuntu software and Snapd by default? I think itā€™s nice to have them, even if some people might not be used to it like you mentioned in your original post.

Also, I would fully support the move to a Chromium-based browser until SSBs on Firefox are better implemented. Itā€™s the only thing holding back your web app implementation in my opinion, so Iā€™d say the move would be justified here. Firefox SSBs are still experimental and donā€™t support extensions, whereas Chromium web apps have full support and dedicated icons.

Either way, thanks for experimenting and releasing something cool that you spent lots of time on! Excited about future updates :smiley:

I just want to know if you will walk with Canonical and the upstream Ubuntu or making a distribution like Linux Mint or more strictly managed one called Trisquel ?

If you are keen to learn systems programming I will join you

Thanks Happy Hacking

@bluesaka111 Ubuntu Web is meant to be an alternative to Chrome OS.

@tburdette303 Yup, it will work fine on older netbooks, provided they have an amd64 (x86_64) CPU architecture.

@turfitgolf Very soon.

@gisn8 've already created snow and have rolled it out to existing installations (existing wapps need to uninstalled and reinstalled by users to be able to get the SSB experience). I have started the build for a new ISO and would be releasing it very soon.

@tobias-buschor1 Please see what I wrote earlier about Snow. We are also working on providing integration with /e/ Apps, which has many PWAs and would hence bring more choice to users.

@cefre00 Iā€™ll work on it :slight_smile: Sorry to keep you waiting.

@chrismin13 Thanks for the great feedback! Your app contributions to the Open Web Store would be greatly appreciated :slight_smile:

Thanks for reminding me that I forgot to include this information in the release notes :wink: Will do so.

I chose to remove snapd as it is a bit heavy and is not very suitable for a lightweight, web-focused operating system.

I understand your point. I might release a variant of Ubuntu Web that uses a Chromium-based browser, although majority of the people voted for Firefox in a recent Twitter poll.

Thank you! :slight_smile:

Weā€™ll be following the Ubuntu LTS release schedule, although we will be backporting new features in Ubuntu and pushing new features through over-the-air updates.

Thatā€™s nice. Iā€™m already an Assembly and C kernel and operating system developer :slight_smile:

Okay Letā€™s get started from scratch I will join as a trainer If you say yes. But my main goal is to make upstream Ubuntu better. See you there. On irc #ubuntu channel