Ubuntu Pro beta tutorial

I have a question. Currently you can disa the Ubuntu Pro token from the machine itself.

However, how can you do remove a machine from the Ubuntu Pro Dashboard on the website without access to the machine?

The main use can is if either the OS get broken or the primary drive died and so you have to redo a clean install (after changing drive in the second scenario.) For a desktop PC or a laptop, there is also the scenario where the physical machine is stolen and such inaccessible from the user.

In general, you should have to the tutorial all the methods to detach a machine from a token.

Yep in this situation right now. I was playing around with a few Ubuntu VMs and added my 5 machines (token) to those VMs. I blew away the VMs and I logged into the web console but there is no way to remove the machines. The machines are gone, how do we delete the old machines/reset the token?

That would mean that you’ve already attached your machine to an Ubuntu Pro subscription. You can run $ pro status to check if it’s indeed the case, and if yes - then you’d see which Pro services are available/ enabled

if you want to detach the Pro subription from a machine, you can run $ sudo pro detach. this would disable the service and “free” your token. More importantly, Ubuntu Pro checks for “active machines” for the exact reasons you mentioned - workstation can get broken, or VMs can get killed. That’s why you can attach how many machines you want, but the total number of “active machines” should not go above the limit.

see my reply to @haroldw . Ubuntu Pro would check the number of “active machines” against your contract. No need to worry about the VMs you blew away - they won’t be counted as “active”

1 Like

The topic is starting to generate some traffic in #ubuntu on IRC. We already requested a factoid !ubuntupro that will link to this page. It would be helpful to point out a way to disable the apt hooks completely as this seems to be what “upsets” most users so far. Is removing/renaming “/etc/apt/apt.conf.d/20apt-esm-hook.conf” the best way to do that? Is it something worth mentioning here?

If you don’t like to see “apt news” simply set the apt news config to false. Run pro config set apt_news=false

Does that remove all hooks in apt or only the news part?

The issues we are getting on IRC/forums/comment sections of articles are that you are permanently getting messages about packages you can not upgrade unless signing up in the apt output, completely unrelated to the news bit.

@Lech have we taken into account that the list of packages you get shown will grow with the age of the release in this output ?

it will likely become a multi-page output over time, making interaction with apt really hard… (it already scrolls the normal apt output offscreen today for me due to the long list of imagemagik and python packages the list shows now)

2 Likes

Yup I understand now that they drop off after 24 hours. Ok that’s good enough for me ! Thanks!

Hello @Lech, now that Ubuntu Pro is an official live product, I recommend replacing the first post in this thread with something simpler.

I think it could be as easy as:

• visit https://ubuntu.com/pro and sign up for a token
  • sudo apt update
    sudo apt upgrade
    sudo apt install ubuntu-advantage-tools
    sudo pro attach <token>
    sudo apt update
    sudo apt upgrade

• and use pro status and pro security-status for some status pages

The first post makes it look like a very complicated experience.

Thanks

1 Like

For me (and I’m quite sure for others too) this is a surprise. I bet everybody expected that pro config set apt_news=false would disable every messages related to the pro version when doing apt upgrade. At least this is what Canonical led people to believe.
Now all of a sudden there are actually subcategories of the pro version. This doesn’t look nice and it’s just misleading.

So you would prefer that apt does not tell users about open security vulnerabilities on their system (and how to get the fixes for them) ?

Sorry I have to say this, but I feel that this is the typical disingenuous marketing answer that you’d normally expect in other places, but consistent with Canonical’s misleading its users, as I said in the previous post.

The reason why I’m saying this is quite simple: you’re not addressing users’ concerns, you’re just talking about what the pro version has to offer. And I know it’s got a lot to offer, there’s no doubt about that, but you’re supposed to have boundaries (in an operating system, for example), and while it makes sense to promote update-related products exactly in APT, the main issue is that you are not giving users the option of opting out. So it’s an issue of restricting the freedom of choice. And it seems that this is happening, slowly, more and more.

So my short answer is: absolutely, yes, I prefer that APT doesn’t tell users about open vulnerabilities that they have to pay for, if they decide not to. It’s already on by default. It would be nice if you could just give the possibility of disabling it.

and why do you think users have to pay for it ?

they explicitly don’t (as stated in every announcement around ubuntu-pro), enterprises are though and to have control that enterprises do not abuse this there must be a gate-keeping mechanism.

maintaining an extra 20000+ packages is a non-trivial and non-cheap amount of work, someone has to pay for it, but it is not you …

2 Likes

They don’t, but they have to deal with being bugged by it constantly. I perceive it as if you are “infesting” a core tool, as it were. Subscribing to the pro version means creating a user, creating a user with personally identifiable information, so generally being much more involved, even when you want to just use a clean operating system.

That’s a slippery slope, anyway, if we were to take into consideration the FOSS chain, linux kernel and, of course, Debian. Yes, I expect companies to be able to use Ubuntu without paying. You might think it’s an “ugly” truth, but it is what it is. And I think that’s actually very important, too, the fact that people simply use it. And they can contribute in turn with as little as pointing out bugs or even with merge requests. If they need support, they’ll pay for it. If they need fast security updates, they’ll pay for it. Otherwise, the operating system should be clean. Ubuntu has a purely community-driven operating system at its core. But all this is probably an officially unpopular idea, I know.

Anyway, to my mind, the more you push users and limit their choice, the more they’ll start looking for other solutions.

Last time i checked only an email address was needed for Ubuntu SSO … so it makes you as much identifiable as something like yodeldiploma@gmail.com goes, yes …

nobody will ask for your ID at the door …

and they are … nothing has changed, it is still the same Ubuntu it was 2 weeks ago, but there are new security features available that close potentially serious CVEs in the software you use.

the tool that has always notified you about these still notifies you about them and you are free to ignore this, nobody forces you into anything, it is just a message, nothing more and noting less …

4 Likes

In jammy gcc is 11/12 and python is 3,10/3,11rc if i attach pro free single personal non commercial subcription after few year will i get gcc >12 or gcc-2(x) version or py> 3.11 or 3.2(x) cause its esm upto 2032 right

Hi,
I am a Linux Mint user and I tried to install Ubuntu Pro on Linux Mint 20.3 (based on Ubuntu 20.04 LTS).
Following the tutorial, my computer can be attached to Ubuntu Pro, but no service can be enabled, since “Una” or “20.3” are not recognized as valid Ubuntu codenames.
I had to hack my system, changing some configuration files, to have it recognized as Ubuntu 20.04 LTS, focal.
However, this hack broke some of Linux Mint specific tools (mintsources, kernel tool) and this is not satisfactory.
So, my question is: does Canonical intents to extend Ubuntu Pro to Ubuntu derivatives (see https://wiki.ubuntu.com/DerivativeTeam/Derivatives) in order to have Ubuntu Pro work on these derivatives without system hacking? (A way to do that would be to have “pro enable” command accept, as an example, “una” “20.3” as equivalent to Ubuntu 20.04 LTS Focal Fossa).
This would be a great improvement.
Regards,
MN

To offer security updates like pro does it is essential that all packages come unmodified from the same archive.

Official Ubuntu flavors are doing all their work inside the Ubuntu archive, sharing the same packages, while derivatives like Mint add modifications to core packages via third-party repositories.

There is no way to properly support such a setup for Canonical, Mint would have to provide this to you, since they are the only ones having control over the hacked/changed packages and conceptual differences they did implement.

2 Likes