Ubuntu Member Notice: Planet Ubuntu Cleanup

Ubuntu Members,
The Planet Ubuntu team are in the process of performing some important upgrades and general housekeeping to the platform. As you probably know, one of the awesome perks of Ubuntu Membership is having your personal blog posts aggregated on https://planet.ubuntu.com/

During the cleanup process, a number of blog feeds that are either non-responsive or do not have an associated Launchpad ID have been identified.

If you’re an Official Ubuntu Member who currently has a blog aggregated, please find your blog entry in the Ubuntu Planet Config and verify that:

• The URL to your blog feed is correct.
  • The listed nick matches a Launchpad username that is part of the Ubuntu Member team.

If your information is correct, there is no need for action.
If you need to make changes to your entry, please follow these steps.

Please note that any entries that do not meet this criteria will be removed after 2023-02-03T05:00:00Z.

4 Likes

It appears as though a number of flavor blogs (news feeds) were removed without reaching out to the various flavor teams. This disrupts the reach of those teams getting their news out to the masses via planet or Ubuntu Weekly News.

Before doing a massive cleanup like this, for the Ubuntu Flavors, the website team member doing the clean up should have reached out to the Ubuntu Flavor Leads and not arbitrarily cleaned-up based on whether or not the nick was an Ubuntu member in those cases, as clearly that could have been outdated information.

I will be going through and doing some changes on this myself and doing a merge request back to Planet, but I hope we can get this fixed ASAP.

1 Like

Hey Erich,
I believe the idea to link the cleanup to the nickname was to ensure the planet only displays feeds from current members. From my conversation with the lead on that cleanup, there was a significant number of dead feeds or links to some inappropriate content.
I’ll get an email sent to all the flavour folks here to take a look at that config and add in their feed if it was caught in that cleanup. I appreciate you bringing this to my attention.

1 Like

I’m already doing the cleanup and MR and verifying the links. I have the time today.

UPDATE: All flavor RSS feeds are good and didn’t change from the original feeds, so that certainly wasn’t the reason.

1 Like

Thank you, Erich. Feel free to ping me if you need anything. I’ll touch base with the lead on that effort as well.

Merge request is in: https://code.launchpad.net/~eeickmeyer/planet-ubuntu/config/+merge/452298

1 Like

I don’t understand why the primary branch wasn’t updated with these changes.

Likewise. I see Planet was updated from the branch my MP is targeting, but the primary branch wasn’t, so the question now is where is the cronjob pulling from or is the cronjob even active? Something seems wrong.

Hi,

The code was merged post-cleanup into the primary configuration branch according to the wiki page, which is lp:~planet-ubuntu/config/main.

This is admittedly a slightly confusing place for the config to live, but I suspect that to be an artefact of how the project was originally set up.

I’ve removed the personal branch I had left behind so as to avoid future confusion, apologies for any misdirection caused there.

1 Like

Thanks @jsimpso! That was, indeed, confusing.

And @bdmurray, @jsimpso is right, the primary branch is now located here. I was able to push directly to it as an Ubuntu member.

My concerns are now rectified as I’ve added the missing newsfeeds for the missing flavors and updated the logos for both Lubuntu (you’re welcome @tsimonq2) and Ubuntu Studio. As soon as Edubuntu has a proper website, we’ll get it updated as well. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Following on from this cleanup, I noticed nobody removed the hackergotchi of people who are no longer represented in the planet config. So I wrote and added a tiny script, so people can scan again in the future, and ran it to remove over 200 images that are no longer used. Hope that’s okay :smiley:

2 Likes

@popey that’s awesome! Thanks! However, if anything like what happened before (the flavors being needlessly removed) happens again, then I fear their hackergotchi’s would get removed as well. Would it be better for them to get moved to an “unused_hackergotchis” folder instead?

1 Like

No need, it’s a software repo with history. Any change that is done, can be undone. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I spent a few minutes trying to update https://code.launchpad.net/planet-ubuntu to point at lp:~planet-ubuntu/config/main but was unsuccessful.