Ubuntu Desktop Team Indaba (Q&A) - May 27, 2022 13:00 UTC

What is the Ubuntu Desktop Team Indaba? Indaba is a South African term for “a conference or consultation between people”. This will be a live stream event, featuring members of the Ubuntu Desktop Team and members of the broader open source community. To get a feel for what to expect, you can review the previous months’ Indabas.

To keep up a consistent cadence of these Indabas, we’ve decided to have them the last Friday of the month, every month. The details are:

When: 2022-05-27T13:00:00Z
Where: UbuntuOnAir - YouTube
Where: UbuntuOnAir - Twitch
Who:

• Heather Ellsworth
  • Ken VanDine (desktop manager)
  • Oliver Smith (product manager)
  • Phillip Meulengracht (core developer)

With our recent move to Firefox being a snap instead of the deb package, we’re continuing to address performance and outstanding improvements and want to share our latest progress and approach. We will be joined by the leader of the desktop team (Ken), our product manager (Oliver), and a snapd engineer (Phillip).

If you have Firefox snap concerns/questions, please bring them to the live chat to enable a constructive and pragmatic conversation!

We stream to both YouTube and twitch and we see the live chat in both for you to join the discussion and ask any questions of us. You are also welcome to ask your questions on this thread in advance and we’ll do our best to answer them on air. And please keep the conversation going here with your thoughts, questions, and resources! :slightly_smiling_face:

7 Likes

Hey folks! Looking forward to tomorrow :slight_smile: in the meantime we’ve put live a blog post detailing our latest progress on Firefox snap performance to help drive discussion.

https://ubuntu.com/blog/how-are-we-improving-firefox-snap-performance-part-1

4 Likes

I think the move to snap for Firefox was great, it limits the occurrence of lapses in security by guaranteeing that the application will be kept up to date.

I am sure we will see more applications move to snap in the future. Is snap going to eventually be able to replace Aptitude as the core package manager for Ubuntu, and if so, how far away is that goal?

1 Like

Thanks for doing this :heart_eyes:

I really appreciated the thorough coverage of firefox as snap package.

2 Likes