Ubuntu Desktop 24.04 LTS Installer - Usability Test

Yes, to this point, I found myself several times during the test thinking “I sure hope the microphone is actually being picked up!” - maybe something like a volume meter in the corner if possible?

saw this in this weeks Ubuntu Weekly Newsletter, but seems its to late to help with the test atm :frowning:
oh well will still help out with the Swedish translation of the new installer later this month

1 Like

Is it no longer open? :neutral_face: (I can’t tell, I did it once already, so I can’t repeat it.)

The new setup (welcome) application is presented at 1St login to the primary (installer) user and asks for many things already decided at installation (keyboard, time-zone, user-name) so is useless and confusing.
The welcome application is NOT presented to secondary users where it might be of some use to avoid secondary users be forced to use the same choices of installer.
Note: I found this problem after installing Ubuntu from ISO dated 2024-03-02 where install crashed:
Bug #2055294 “/usr/lib/grub/grub-multi-install fails on noble-da...” : Bugs : grub2 package : Ubuntu but leaves a functioning system so I don’t know if my problem is due to the incomplete installation.

1 Like

The description of the Full install option is now outdated, since there are no longer games preinstalled. Also it has the same webbrowser as the standard install

4 Likes

there are no longer games preinstalled … but installing the ISO dated Mar 11 in the screen ‘Applications’ ‘Extended selection’ says ‘…web browser and games’.

2 Likes

done with the Swedish translation today :slight_smile:

3 Likes

At end of an unsuccessful install I see a window saying: Something went wrong and allowing to see log but the small window showing the log is too small and practically useless.
Also the button ‘Restart’ does nothing, just hangs.

Don’t forget to create a bug report - suggest against OpenID transaction in progress - remember to add a tarball of the contents of /var/log/installer

I appended my notes to the bug where i discovered the problem: Bug #2060783 “After failed install the window allowing to see lo...” : Bugs : subiquity

I encountered a problem with wifi when install ubuntu 24.04.
The install process get stuck after I choose to connect a public wifi (need login), even though I already connect to (and login) the wifi.
To bypass the problem, I connected the private wifi I shared by my phone, go to the next step, and reconnect the public wifi.
It’s not a big problem, but really annoying and confusing.

please raise the issue here OpenID transaction in progress

thx

Done!

I think since we want to make sure, now that 24.04 is released, that all issues get tracked on the bug tracker at ubuntu-desktop-provision in Launchpad, that it’s time to close this topic.

Thanks to all who tested!

3 Likes