Ubuntu Core 20 AMA

Next week, 2021-03-25T18:00:00Z I’m going to be talking to David Beamonte, the Product Manager for Ubuntu Core, about all things Ubuntu Core 20 and snaps on a YouTube Live stream on the Ubuntu YouTube channel. :star_struck:

It’s going to be a pretty informal discussion intended to tell the story of Ubuntu Core 20, to address some of people’s concerns around Ubuntu Core and snaps in general, and to clarify anything that wasn’t clear from the release. I’m going to work FAQs from webinars and on social media into the discussion and it would be great to include questions from here too.

If you have any questions you would like answered in the stream, post them below and I’ll try and work them into our discussion. This our first time trying something like this so bear with us. But if we miss anything we’ve planned a 10 minute segment at the end to answer questions live from the chat. :partying_face:

You can go ahead and mark the date here: :arrow_right: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QLRdQ8T-7qY :arrow_left:

1 Like

Should that post not also be on https://forum.snapcraft.io where the actual users and community of Ubuntu Core hang out ?

1 Like

… Yes it should. Thank you Ogra.

1 Like

Hi,

I am very keen to know how third-party device drivers work in the ubuntu core / snap ecosystem. For example, say I want to distribute an IOT device that has a document scanner attached to it (panasonic KV-S1037x or HP scanjet Pro 2000 s2, for example). How can I install the necessary drivers on ubuntu core and then write a python application that controls the scanner and submits the documents to my central server? This is easy using normal ubuntu distributions, but can’t find any information for ubuntu core. Do the drivers get bundled into my application’s snap?

Thanks!

Patrick

1 Like

Hi there,
I was unable to attend the youtube session. I like the Ubuntu-core platform and have a great energy-saving application in mind in combination with blockchain.
In my setup, I run two blockchain snaps: bitcoin-core and energycoind
But I have trouble configure autostart after an automatic system reboot for updates.
I see two solutions:

• prevent auto-updates of Ubuntu-core
  • configure auto-restart of the application after automatic system reboot for updates.

I hope on constructive feedback.

Best regards,
GeoJanBV

Hey Patrick, sorry for missing this question during the stream, I forgot to look here since we had some questions over in the snapcraft forum.

I’m about to close this thread since its over and no one’s watching it anymore, I suggest you take this question over to forum.snapcraft.io where there are folks who will be able to answer your question better than me :slight_smile:

Hey GeoJanBV, I’m about to close this thread since the stream is over and we moved all the discussion over to snapcraft.io or in the comments on YouTube its over and no one’s watching here anymore. I suggest you take this question over to forum.snapcraft.io where there are folks who will be able to answer your question better than me :slight_smile:

That is okay, but zero response on my question there:

maybe you can ask Ubuntu-core people to answer my question.

simply because nobody of us is active at ubuntuforums.org … better ask in forum.snapcraft.io as rhys suggests …

thx I have registered and soon I shall formulate my question there.

1 Like