Ubuntu 24.04 Support Team

I read the following articles a couple of days ago: Ubuntu Desktop’s 24.10 Dev Cycle - The Roadmap and https://www.phoronix.com/news/Ubuntu-24.10-Roadmap

But at the end it says the following that made me generate many questions:

We’re putting together a crew…

So ends the Ubuntu 24.10 roadmap. As the desktop team has grown over the last few years it’s been great to be able to introduce new, future focussed ideas around provisioning, security and accessibility whilst maintaining our capacity to polish and refine the features that make up the essentials of the Ubuntu experience. I hope you have seen the benefits of this growth in the pace of progress between each release but, as always, we want to do even more.

Our plan is to grow the Ubuntu Desktop team by at least another 50% over the next year and we are opening a range of positions across all levels of seniority in the coming weeks. At Canonical we think the future is bright for the Linux desktop and if you have the passion and skills to be at the cutting edge of performance, security, immutability and accessibility then we want to hear from you.

Do you have ideas on how to deliver a performant gaming experience on Ubuntu out of the box? Or are you fascinated by the possibilities of Linux and Windows interoperability? What are the pain points for administrators who want to secure and standardise their Linux desktops? Do you see the potential to unlock a whole new community of users with a stable, immutable OS? How do we make building cross platform applications feel as native and frictionless as possible? And how do we ensure that everyone has the tools to keep control of their data on their secured device?

Let me know. I’m all ears

So my questions are:

1. Is the Ubuntu Desktop team developers? Testers? community members / helpers?

2. Do you have ideas on how to deliver a performant gaming experience on Ubuntu out of the box? -Yes, a lot, many of us have the specific ideas in the gaming department about what is needed, what can be merge (out of the box), tackle or worked together with, in order to make an amazing ubuntu 24.10, or an Ubuntu that would become a “game changer”.

3. are you fascinated by the possibilities of Linux and Windows interoperability - This would be related to what exactly because it could be multiple things.

4. Do you see the potential to unlock a whole new community of users with a stable, immutable OS - Immutable OS as in snap only or as in the community working in synergy with the Distro / OS to make it amazing? For example a sub for gamers specific to Ubuntu, the performance, etc…

5. How do we make building cross platform applications feel as native and frictionless as possible? - super great question with a lot of potential here.

There are more questions, but there are too many good things here. From the return of deb packages been able to be installed (eg: steam, chrome, vscode, etc…) to the Nvidia + Gnome + ubuntu Dev changes accumulating towards 24.10.

So I think the biggest question here several already have is: How can we help? How can we assist, what can we do to be part of any phase of the Ubuntu 24.10 creation?

I for one have a small youtube channel promoting Ubuntu https://www.youtube.com/@xtremelinux as a gaming alternative (which does a pretty nice job at it). But what else could be done to make 24.10 even more amazing?

I ask here because on the original post, I can not reply.

3 Likes

I didn’t noticed this originally. It’s in a team category that only the desktop team can post in. I have asked @local-optimum if they can move it (I cannot) because it makes no sense signing off a message with “I’m all ears” but it being effectively a closed topic.

5 Likes

I have moved the post hopefully to something you can reply to now. Let me know if you still have an issue!

3 Likes

Hey @luisalvarado just to give you a more fully-featured response as I appreciate you taking the time to review the roadmap and I was OOO yesterday. :slight_smile:

As mentioned, we’re looking to hire more folks into the Ubuntu Desktop engineering team at Canonical, with passion and skills in a range of areas to help us deliver against the questions raised at the end of the post. But joining the team isn’t the only way to get involved, from writing documentation or tutorials to posting feedback or reporting bugs on our ongoing work, even starting well-structured discussion threads around the areas we’ve highlighted above - all of these we read and review for consideration when constructing our roadmaps. That doesn’t mean we’ll have the capacity to actively work on all of them, and everything must be filtered through the lens of Ubuntu’s mission and values to make sure we’re delivering a well-rounded ‘whole’ to all of our users.

To talk to gaming specifically:

We have a small but dedicated team focussed on gaming and whilst initially our priority was on delivering the Steam snap with its supporting user-space driver content snap, now we want to broaden our remit. Ideally our focus will be on sensible defaults and easier configuration for gaming at the OS level alongside upstream contributions. Things like Boosting the vm.max_map_count in Ubuntu is a good example of simple tweaks that can have significant impact. If you have (or wish to help collate) a list of targetted changes for gaming, please do share them and we’ll review for consideration in our roadmap. We’ve also started an experimental Matrix room to test the waters for more direct collaboration and dev discussion https://matrix.to/#/#ubuntu-gaming:matrix.org

2 Likes

oh my sorry. Was hospitalized together with my kids and wife. Just getting little by little back to the horse. These are great and happy news thank you. I will share anything to help along of course.