Ubuntu 23.04 Testing Week

Ubuntu 23.04 Testing Week

Ubuntu and its various flavours will be participating in another Ubuntu Testing Week :hammer_and_wrench: from March 2nd to March 9th!

Soon we will be releasing the Ubuntu 23.04 Beta after halting all new changes and between then and the final release 3 weeks later, all efforts are focused on ISO testing, bug reporting, and fixing bugs.

How to Get Involved

Testing is easy! Start by simply downloading the Daily Ubuntu ISO image, perform the variety of test cases found on the ISO tracker and report your results. Tests can be performed in a virtual environment or directly on hardware. Testers can perform as few or as many test cases as they like.

New Desktop Installer Testing

With the exciting Desktop installer built on Subiquity and Flutter arriving in Ubuntu 23.04, we’re calling on our Community Testers to help identify any issues that may appear. Look for the various ‘Canary Install’ tasks under Ubuntu Desktop amd64 to get started.

It’s important that we capture a broad spectrum of test results, so we encourage testers to evaluate and document various configurations such as:

• Dual booting
  • Custom partitioning
  • Using different graphics hardware

You can find additional reported issues to test in the Ubuntu Desktop Installer github project.

Legacy Desktop Image Testing

We also need testers to evaluate the legacy desktop image that comes preloaded with the classic Ubuntu Desktop installer. You can perform these tests by downloading the Ubuntu Legacy ISO and following the steps outlined in the various Ubuntu Desktop (Legacy) amd64 test cases.

Join in the Testing Conversations

Join in the testing conversations over on the #ubuntu-quality and #ubuntu-testing IRC channels, The Ubuntu Testers Telegram group, or on the #testing-cycles channel on the Ubuntu Hideout Discord server.

Learning Resources for Testers

Testing is a fun and vitally important way to contribute to the Ubuntu Community.
Learn more about contributing via QA and Testing

For new tester support and additional QA information, please check out our various learning resources:
New Tester Guide
Testing Walkthrough
QA Development Setup
Ubuntu Quality Launchpad Team
The Keys to Successful Bug Reporting

Flavour Testing

Ubuntu Flavours are an important part of our ecosystem and also rely on community testers to ensure their releases are stable and ready for general use. While their testing process is typically very similar to Ubuntu, it’s important to follow their community’s additional testing guidance.
Kubuntu ISO
Lubuntu ISO - Testing Announcement
Ubuntu Budgie ISO - Testing Announcement
Ubuntu Kylin ISO
Ubuntu MATE ISO
Ubuntu Studio ISO
Ubuntu Unity ISO
Xubuntu ISO

18 Likes

Great news. To help along, is there a specific command or format to report the hardware used? Like the steam system information box that grabs a lot of info about the hardware.

Just asking to simplify the testing procedure.

2 Likes

You can use a tool like inxi to get some good system information:

sudo apt install inxi
inxi -b

That will output a basic set of system hardware specifications .

We can report our QA testing on the ISO tracker found here - http://iso.qa.ubuntu.com/qatracker/milestones/441/builds

It provides clues as to what the current ISO date is for each product/architecture, and if you selected Ubuntu Desktop amd64 you’ll get to a list of testcases that can be run. Select one and enter the details there. Right now that page here but PLEASE NOTE that link is specific to that daily ISO build, so I’d suggest always start at the lunar page I used earlier & navigate down.

( FYI: Myself I always use the daily page; and let the iso.qa tracker record/classify it in the beta/final page for me )

I keep a list of my hardware in a text file, and on the first line of comments I copy/paste the line that represents the machine I used in the QA-test, eg. if I was using the box I’m using now it’d be

dell [optiplex] 7050 (i5-6500, 16gb, intel hd530/i915)

which is just cpu, ram & gpu details obtained from lshw.

I’m not saying you need to do it this way, just its what I do & we do over at Lubuntu QA (eg. I’ll provide a page for install tests for the recent 22.04.2 where you’ll note it used by myself & Leó; the first line is always the ‘box’ used; being a line I pasted from my ubuntu_hw_test_specs.txt file).

(FYI: I grabbed & used a jammy.2 page as it was easy for me; and had picked a page that had numerous entries… A quick look at a lunar page and I saw few filled pages).

2 Likes

Sorry for the confusion here. So I have the following problem and need to know how to submit this to the http://iso.qa.ubuntu.com/qatracker/milestones/441/builds page because I am lost on that page (Not intuitive for me) and also I can not submit from 23.04 because it fails the moment the GUI starts so all I could grab was the following (but need help in properly reporting on the qa site):

This is the hardware PC I am using for testing (I am writing on my old computer this):

photo_2023-03-15_14-11-30

If I do not change the custom.conf gdm to not use wayland, I can get in but I can not interact with any windows. Context menus and sub menus open but do not do anything. The only way for me to get to the terminal was to open nautilus/files from the Dock, then right click any empty space and select terminal. The moment I did that I had a couple of seconds before it crashed the terminal. But was able to get a picture of the hardware after my 3rd attempt.

If I do disable wayland (Because I have an nvidia card) and start normal X.org then this happens:

photo_2023-03-15_14-04-58

And it stays there, does not matter if i change tty, it always shows and needed to reinstall 23.04 to be able to go back to wayland. But if I use wayland I can actually feel the lag and the interaction with windows and all. This started happening all today after applying all the latest updates for 23.04 (I did not update since I think since several days back).

Here is the hardware if it helps:

CPU - 13900k
MOBO - Asus Z790 Hero
RAM: DDR5 128GB
VID: Nvidia 4090 (Drivers were automatically installed during setup)
SSD - SN850x

That is more or less what I could do.

How you note your hardware can be your choice.

More important is doing the testing, and recording a test on iso.qa.tracker as a completed test (fail/pass & any bugs encountered reported in either ‘critical bug’ or ‘bug’ fields).

You can report bugs as you normally do (ubuntu-bug etc, or just file report online with browser & apport-collect on your box), then login to iso.qa.ubuntu.com and record a test in the appropriate testcase and add the bug ID (your bug report will have hardware details due to ubuntu-bug or apport-collect being run).

If a system fails to boot; that’s a critical error as I see it, so report the bug as best you can (online report) & then just add the bug report ID into the critical bug field on an appropriate testcase on the iso tracker, click FAILED and enter submit. The filed bug report will soon be linked with the ISO that failed to boot.

If you’re interested in recording hardware as the iso.qa.tracker like we do with Lubuntu (but please note: this is optional as the testing is more important than this details, reporting bugs using apport-collect/ubuntu-bug will get this detail & more) my current box if used I’d report as

dell [optiplex] 7050 (i5-6500, 16gb, intel hd530/i915)

which is only make/model I’d hope I know and detail you can see in your provided inxi output, ie. for mine inxi shows

guiverc@d7050-next:~$   inxi 
CPU: quad core Intel Core i5-6500 (-MCP-) speed/min/max: 1468/800/3600 MHz
Kernel: 6.1.0-16-generic x86_64 Up: 6h 28m Mem: 7301.1/15852.7 MiB (46.1%)
Storage: 238.47 GiB (18.3% used) Procs: 327 Shell: Bash inxi: 3.3.25

If you have any problems, questions etc, and use IRC (telegram/discord); see the title post on this thread for rooms where you can ask questions, and I or others will assist you as we’re able to.

2 Likes

Done and done. Thank you.

3 Likes

Ubuntu 23.04 Testing Week Recap

ll-tester

We’d like to thank all the incredible community members who participated in the Ubuntu 23.04 Testing Week! Whether you ran through testcases in the isotracker, submitted bugs on our github or just helped promote testing efforts, your contribution helped improve the next iteration of Ubuntu.

Special thanks to the following testers who made it to the top of the testing scoreboard:

leok
uninvolved
bernard010
guiverc
mafoelffen
luisalvarado
dtebokkel
ducarpit
fnaepelt
corradoventu
paulw2u
nio-wiklund
kent-jclin
juglugs1974
brian-murray
kepler-69c

To discover more ways you can contribute to Ubuntu, please visit https://ubuntu.com/community/contribute

5 Likes

Will you be fixing this UI bug before the new release comes out? https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/gnome-control-center/+bug/1993874

Here is a video explaining in more details the dark theme issue: https://youtu.be/5ToMbaqbEw4

The backlight couldn’t be adjusted via software after I upgraded Ubuntu 22.10 to 23.04, the 5.19.0-35-generic works well:

larry@zx:~/Downloads$ uname -a
Linux zx 5.19.0-35-generic #36-Ubuntu SMP PREEMPT_DYNAMIC Fri Feb 3 18:36:56 UTC 2023 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux
larry@zx:~/Downloads$ tree /sys/class/backlight/
/sys/class/backlight/
├── acpi_video0 -> ../../devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:01.0/backlight/acpi_video0
└── acpi_video1 -> ../../devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:01.0/backlight/acpi_video1

3 directories, 0 files
larry@zx:~/Downloads$ brightnessctl -l
Available devices:
Device 'acpi_video1' of class 'backlight':
        Current brightness: 22 (22%)
        Max brightness: 100

Device 'acpi_video0' of class 'backlight':
        Current brightness: 2 (29%)
        Max brightness: 7

larry@zx:~/Downloads$ light -L
Listing device targets:
        sysfs/backlight/acpi_video1
        sysfs/backlight/acpi_video0
        sysfs/backlight/auto
        sysfs/leds/input11::scrolllock
        sysfs/leds/input4::capslock
        sysfs/leds/phy0-led
        sysfs/leds/input4::scrolllock
        sysfs/leds/input11::capslock
        sysfs/leds/input11::numlock
        sysfs/leds/input4::numlock
        sysfs/leds/input11::kana
        sysfs/leds/input11::compose
        util/test/dryrun

But the latest kernel shows:

larry@zx:~/Downloads$ uname -a
Linux zx 6.1.0-16-generic #16-Ubuntu SMP PREEMPT_DYNAMIC Fri Feb 24 14:37:30 UTC 2023 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux
larry@zx:~/Downloads$ tree /sys/class/backlight/
/sys/class/backlight/

0 directories, 0 files
larry@zx:~/Downloads$ brightnessctl -l
Available devices:
Device 'input4::capslock' of class 'leds':
        Current brightness: 0 (0%)
        Max brightness: 1

Device 'phy0-led' of class 'leds':
        Current brightness: 1 (100%)

Device 'input4::scrolllock' of class 'leds':

Device 'input4::numlock' of class 'leds':

Device 'mmc0::' of class 'leds':
        Max brightness: 255

larry@zx:~/Downloads$ light -L
No backlight controller was found, so we could not decide an automatic target. The current command will have no effect. Please use -L to find a target and then specify it with -s.

Listing device targets:
        sysfs/leds/input4::capslock
        sysfs/leds/phy0-led
        sysfs/leds/input4::scrolllock
        sysfs/leds/input4::numlock
        sysfs/leds/mmc0::
        util/test/dryrun

My monitor has always been at maximum brightness now if the latest kernel is used, hope for help.

Since I Installed Ubuntu 23.04 was a month ago the problem is shown every single time I have booted, the errors are like

ACPI Error: AE_NOT_FOUND, While resolving a named reference package element - \_PR_.P000 (20221020/dspkginit-438)

My Laptop is an HP Omen 15 2020 Ryzen 4800H and RTX 2060, I can confirm on Ubuntu 22.04 is fine no errors related to ACPI.

Thank you for posting your issues @luisalvarado, @larryw3i and @techasorg

To ensure they get seen by the correct eyes, please consider reporting them as bugs.

Before you do so, check the current reported bugs on Launchpad for the Lunar Lobster milestone to see if someone else has already reported the issue that you’ve experienced. If so, you can click the link at the top of the ticket that reads Does this bug affect you? and select Yes, it affects me. Doing this will help add HEAT :fire: to the bug report which helps our devs understand the issues significance.

3 Likes

Sure thing, thank you.

I have problems with xboxdrv.
With previous versions (and kernel 5.x) the USB gamepad used to work OK.
Now its led lights up for a while but then immediately goes off. The pad is correctly recognized but no life sign.
I tried all, rmmod xpad, detach xboxdrv, etc.
I suspect it’s a 6.x kernel issue

Looks like the dark theme issue is now fixed in 23.04 :+1:

1 Like