Ubuntu 20.04, Settings, Power, Blank screen

Hello, I would like to make a suggestion for the Blank Screen settings option; currently we have the option to blank the screen from one minute to fifteen minutes or never. It would be nice to have the option for the user to set time they prefer, like a user set timer option. Such a user customizable feature can give the user the amount of time they prefer before the screen goes blank instead of the preset options like we have now.

Thanks

1 Like

Not saying it shouldn’t be added to the Settings program, but you can change the value using gsettings in the terminal:

org.gnome.desktop.session idle-delay <time in seconds>
1 Like

You got me started in the right direction. I had to lookup the full syntax. I found it with a google search. I had to prefix the gsettings and set commands to the command line.

Here is the full syntax that worked: gsettings set org.gnome.desktop.session idle-delay 3600

The Settings, Power, Blank Screen menu option now shows: 1 hour 0 minutes 0 seconds.

Thanks. Seems complicated for a casual user. A timer like function similar to that found on an android clock application would be funner and easier to use. Just a suggestion for modern times.

1 Like

Sorry, didn’t paste the gsettings set part. That’s what I get for posting late before bed :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

Personally I think a slider such as the one in macOS would be ideal, which allows you to go from one minute all the way up to never.

Thanks for the suggestion. However, one pet peeve is that the setting is not fully customizable.

Here is what I am suggesting for optimal user control of their device like we have with the command line:

I think the best place for your suggestion is upstream with GNOME for the Settings app.

2 Likes

Is there a simple way to simply clone the post/thread over there?