Trying to test Disco, need help partitioning

Hey guys. I own an nVidia Optimus laptop and experienced regressions going from 17.10 to 18.10.

Now I’m trying to test Disco as early as I can. I’ve got a partition reserved for this, as I plan on dual booting. This is my fairly standard setup:

• sda is an SSD
    1. /dev/sda1: FAT32 / EFI System (69miB) @ /boot/efi
    2. /dev/sda2: ext4 (500giB) @ /
  • sdb is a rotating HDD
    1. /dev/sdb1: ext4 (~2tiB) @ /mnt/data
    2. /dev/sdb2: ext4 (~100giB) unused and unmounted

I want to create a Disco installation on sdb2.

It’s been almost 10 years since a last ran a multiboot installation. I believe the installer will make this easy for me. I need confirmation on the following:

1. the installer will just let me choose to mount sdb2 as / and nothing else (though my other partitions will always be available, they will not be mounted by default);
  2. when I choose /dev/sda1 as my boot partition, the installer will not overwrite my current setup, but add this new installation as an option the the existing grub installation;

Thanks!

– nachokb

This site is for the co-ordination of the Ubuntu project(s), and not support.

For Ubuntu Support options, please have a look at https://community.ubuntu.com/t/finding-help/712 but please note many of those sites do not support unreleased (testing or +1) releases of Ubuntu (eg. Ask Ubuntu doesn’t, but irc does in the ubuntu+1 room).

Yes you can do this; I always use the ‘something-else’ option for my installations (unless QA-testing) which allows almost any, if not any combination possible. I won’t go further though as it’s off-topic on this site (being support related).

1 Like

Thanks, I can remove this if inappropriate