Support requests part 27

@staff

I’ve turned off new posts for brand new accounts again to hopefully reduce the number of support requests from brand new accounts.

Aside: There are a bunch of requests in the support requests category where the post was moved, but no reply given. This means nobody can reply at all, as the posts are auto closed. The user is left hanging. We should at least have a boilerplate to signpost where to go. So let’s try not to leave people hanging in future.

3 Likes

In addition to this, anyone else discovering a support post which doesn’t have a reply will be confused by it (as I was just now); the post has no answer, and cannot be replied to to give an answer. A support post with the useful “please see Finding Help for where to ask support questions” reply makes it clear that this support post will not get any answers. So moving a support post without a reply not only leaves the original poster hanging, but also anyone else who sees the post later (and posts moved to the support category still show up on the front page and in post lists).

Here is one thought I had as to how people are getting here, along with a couple of potential solutions:

And another one, I just found:

1 Like

I did much of that.

Sorry. Lesson learned.

I went back and cleaned up many from January and February. Regrettably, not enough time to go farther back today.

3 Likes

I have removed a reference on ubuntu.com to discourse as a place for support - https://github.com/canonical-web-and-design/ubuntu.com/pull/9379 - I hope it helps.

2 Likes

Hi, I have a couple of corrections and improvements for this page https://help.ubuntu.com/rst/

I’m new, and if I understood correctly can’t create new posts. How is the procedure to be able to?

Thank you.

I’ll leave them here for now so I don’t forget:
The part in text which reads HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\iaStorAV\
should be HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\iaStorV\
(You can see it’s the correct iaStorV in the screenshot below it)

Also, I wasn’t able to make it work until I manually setup a safeboot minimal mode with an elevated cmd. Apparently the regedit changes for the “dual boot” scenario were being reset on the first fail cycle.
The solution was to set the safeboot manually. With a cmd with admin rights:
bcdedit /set {current} safeboot minimal
Reboot. Enters safemode correctly, and setups the new hardware using the temporarily enabled drivers.
bcdedit /deletevalue {current} safeboot
To go back to normal boot.

@nitram-mural You can edit Ubuntu installation on computers with Intel(R) RST enabled to add this piece of information.

1 Like

Well, yes and no. While that topic is probably the right place to propose changes, there is no automatic way to get the help.ubuntu.com URL updated. For that reason, rather than editing the original post of the topic, adding a comment is probably better.

1 Like