Submitting for commit rights to cloud-init

As the community expands we have an identified process for earning commit rights to the cloud-init source repository. It is not a requirement to be a Canonical employee.

Proposal

Applicants will build a public discourse post, using the template below, addressing the questions and requests for information. Once the applicant is ready for a formal review an they will remove the “Draft” status of the post and the application will be open for voting from the pool of existing committers to the cloud-init project for a 14 day time period. to review and provide feedback with a majority vote on granting commit access to the applicant. Once a majority of existing committers +1 in the discourse thread the applicant will be granted commit rights to the cloud-init project.

If the applicant is not able to achieve affirmative votes in the 14 day time period from the majority of current committers then the voting body will provide feedback to the applicant and encourage them to improve their application and try again in the future.

Applicant Template

Who I am

Tell us a bit about yourself.

How I came to work on cloud-init

Tell us how and when you got involved, what you liked working on, and what you could probably do better.

My involvement

Examples of my work / Things I’m proud of

*Include links to pull requests, reviews you’ve performed on other developers pull requests, discussions in the mailing list or discourse, and any other contributions you think help accurately represent your work in cloud-init.

Areas of work

Let us know what you worked on, with which development teams / developers with whom you cooperated, and how it worked out.

Things I could do better

No one is perfect or has mastered all of cloud-init, please be thoughtful about your own areas of improvement and how the community can help you progress in those areas.

Plans for the future

What do you plan on working on and doing to improve cloud-init if you were to receive commit rights. Do you have a roadmap or ideas for the future for things you’d like to see advance?

General

What I like least in cloud-init

Please describe what you like least in cloud-init and what thoughts do you have about fixing it.

Endorsements (1-3 endorsements required)

As a sponsor, just copy the template below, fill it out and post it as a reply to the applicants application thread.

Endorsers TEMPLATE

Endorsers Feedback

Please fill us in on your shared experience. Notable pull requests, improvements to the project, documentation, or special expertise brought to bear

Specific Experiences of working together

Please add good examples of your work together, but also cases that could have handled better.

Areas of Improvement

Please note specific areas that the application can continue to improve and watch out for going forward

What reviewers are looking for

• a continued history of work (6 months?)
  • breadth of codebase
  • breadth of types of work
    • tests and their quality in both functional and unit test types
    • documentation
    • PRs
    • QA, release assistance
    • reviews of PRs, not their own and not only in their special focus of the codebase
  • Endorsements from the Ubuntu process
    • 1-3 endorsements in your application from existing committers
  • demonstrates an understanding of limits of knowledge and shows a reach out to others when appropriate.

Note: Cribbed a ton from https://wiki.ubuntu.com/UbuntuDevelopers#CoreDev

Admins of the repository reserve the right to adjust commit rights as is deemed important to protect the project.