Still cannot run `lxc storage list` after ZFS dependency woes

After snap automatically updated LXD to 5.21, things stopped working because I have ZFS <= 2.1. At that point in time, even lxc list was not functioning. This was in part addressed by an update re-introducing support for ZFS 0.8 onwards:

https://github.com/canonical/lxd/issues/13319

After this update, lxc list works again, however, lxc storage list still doesn’t work:

# lxc storage list

Error: Required tool 'zpool' is missing

As a side-effect of this, starting containers isn’t possible. Existing containers are continuing to run.

#  snap info lxd | grep installed
installed:          5.21.1-d46c406            (28460) 108MB held
# lxc version
Client version: 5.21.1 LTS
Server version: 5.21.1 LTS

Anyone got an idea how to resolve this? Afterwards, I’ll migrate all containers to a host running ZFS 2.1.

Please try refreshing to 5.21/stable track

sudo snap refresh lxd --channel=5.21/stable

Because that error suggests LXD’s snap still isn’t recognising a compatible ZFS version on your host.

What does uname -a show?

And what is your host OS version?

Thanks

In addition to what Tom asked, please also report what you get from:

modinfo zfs | grep -w version

Thanks

Thanks for the reply.

I tried un-holding and refreshing snap:

# snap refresh lxd --channel=5.21/stable

snap "lxd" has no updates available
# uname -a
Linux hostname 5.10.0-21-amd64 #1 SMP Debian 5.10.162-1 (2023-01-21) x86_64 GNU/Linux

It’s Debian 11:

# cat /etc/debian_version 

And zfs 2.0:

# zfs --version

zfs-2.0.3-9+deb11u1

zfs-kmod-2.0.3-9
# modinfo zfs | grep -w version
version:        2.0.3-9+deb11u1

zpool works from the command line, but I understand lxd has built-in tooling.

Let me know if you need any more info! :slight_smile:

1 Like

https://packages.debian.org/bullseye-backports/zfsutils-linux should give you ZFS 2.1

1 Like

Ah lxd 5.21 doesnt include zfs 2.0 support.
So can you get zfs 2.1 support?

Ah, ok, so only 0.8 support was re-instated but not 2.0?

Correct, ZFS 0.8, 2.1 and 2.2 are currently support by LXD 5.21.

Ok, assumed it would be >= 0.8 :slight_smile:

I will try ZFS 2.1 tomorrow (I wanted to avoid messing with zfs at first if possible). Thanks for the replies!

2 Likes

Yes that was for Ubuntu Bionic users who were not able to get to ZFS 2.1 even by way of the HWE kernel.

I should have known/guessed to ‘hold’ a specific version of the snap package and avoid it auto-updating. Following the lxd installation instructions that wasn’t too apparent that such automatic breakage would happen. In the future, I will try to stick to apt packages.

So if you follow an LTS track (like 5.0/stable or 5.21/stable) then the min system requirements wont change for duration of series. But if you follow latest/stable its a rolling release where min requirements do change over time.

However in the past LXD snap tracked latest/stable by default if no channel was specified. So this lead to some users tracking latest/stable without knowing the implications.

With the new 5.21 series we’ve updated it to be the default snap track so doing snap install lxd will get you tracking 5.21/stable.

This way it has to be a conscious decision to refresh onto the latest/stable rolling channel.

So hopefully fewer users will be affected by this sort of issue in the future.

https://documentation.ubuntu.com/lxd/en/latest/installing/#choose-your-release

1 Like