Share USB ports

Hi, I would like to known how i can share the USB ports with my instanse of multipass

I have windows as a main OS and there’s running my instance of multipass.

thank you very much in advance!

4 Likes

Well, I’m intriged by this also.
Is it possible to usb passthrough?

Hi @peter82pear, sorry @geraba for not answering this sooner.

Not all of the drivers we support have the capability to forward USB devices. But if using Hyper-V or VirtualBox, you can just use the native management tools. Hyper-V should be straightforward, VirtualBox is a bit trickier, see here for our documentation on how to modify the instances after launching.

I’ll refer you to documentation of either Hyper-V or VirtualBox on how to actually forward a USB device into their VMs.

Any update on this? Are the more full blown VMs the only only option for usb passthrough?

Not the only option. :slight_smile: I wanted to avoid them, and got a Multipass instance under macOS to see an embedded development board as if it was local. I’ll write down the details in a repo, soon.

Let me know if you still need this.

I’m interested. Thank you :slight_smile:

Great.

• ESP32-WSL

This explains how I got USB “pass through” working to WSL2, using usbipd on the Windows side. This is a known method and works very well for my use case (ESP32 development board). Note: I don’t use Multipass on Windows, because a) it has WSL and b) my license is Win10 Home.

• ESP32-Mac

Here, I am using Multipass, and USB/IP works. I needed to run the usbipd server on a Windows PC, but for Windows + Multipass, a combination of these two instructions should provide the guidance.

If I had Windows {10|11} Pro, I would rather study the HyperV settings, mentioned above. Providing this usbip stuff just as an alternative.

1 Like

Great, thanks! Never thought to use usb2p. I use a Mac.