How to Set Patch Sync Filters

Livepatch on-prem enables users to synchronise with the hosted server, and this synchronisation process is configurable.

The primary synchronisation filters are:

• System architecture for limiting patches via architecture
  • Flavours for limiting the kernel flavour
  • Minimum kernel version, only allowing versions greater than the minimum to be sychronised.

Here is an example that you can run in the shell:

juju config livepatch \
    sync_flavors=generic,lowlatency,aws \
    sync_architectures=amd64,s390x \
    sync_minimum_kernel_version=5.4.0

In the example above:

Parameter Description
sync_flavors Comma-separated list of kernel flavors to download patches for.
sync_architectures Comma-separated list of kernel architectures to download patches for.
sync_minimum_kernel_version A minimum kernel version of format “0.0.0” denoting the lowest kernel version to download patches for.
2 Likes

I found that in my livepatch deployment, those parameters do not exist. Instead I find:

patch-sync.architectures
patch-sync.flavors
patch-sync.minimum-kernel-version

Maybe I have a different version of livepatch or something?

Hi @maarten256, are you using the Livepatch server snap or charm (and if the charm, from which channel)?

We currently have a few versions of the server charm because of changes to Juju’s charm framework over the years.

• The oldest and stable version of the on-prem charm is available from https://charmhub.io/canonical-livepatch-server in the `latest/stable channel.
  • Then we have 2 new versions of the charm that use the latest operator framework. These are the kubernetes charm, and a machine charm which is available at the same link as above but will be found in the ops1.x/latest channel when we publish it there (currently only available in ops1.x/edge`).

I mention the above because our config has undergone some change and once we fully publish the new charm some doc pages like this one will need to change. But as you’ve been able to tell, the differences are fairly easy to spot so I hope that gives some context to what you’re seeing.

Hi @kian-parvin,

I’m using the charm, and I am on the stable channel:

canonical-livepatch-server-k8s latest/stable

So that explains it!