Screensharing in Wayland, Groovy Gorilla edition

So I was wondering whether any effort has been put to facilitate screen sharing in Wayland in Groovy Gorilla. Pipewire version is correct (0.3) and xdg-desktop-portal is installable, however apps fail to acquire outputs due to this bug https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/xdg-desktop-portal/+bug/1879580

In theory, fixing the above would basically enable Chrome/Chromium and potentially Firefox (if it were to be compiled with the correct flags to enable pipewire & screensharing support) and other apps like OBS to share displays and windows in a Wayland session.

Unless I’m wrong, screensharing is the #1 issue to enable Wayland session by default? Perhaps followed by dodgy nvidia proprietary driver support.

2 Likes

The biggest issue right now is that we haven’t yet promoted pipewire to main, which is required to make it a dependency of mutter/gnome-shell. After that we would need to make a few other changes. It’s all part of the plan for future Ubuntu.

There’s a separate issue with supporting Chrome. I don’t think anyone has looked into that.

3 Likes

Thanks for the heads up Daniel.