Request to not remove Ubiquity from 24.04

regarding the post in Desktop Team Integration Squad Updates – Monday 26th February 2024

I am requesting that Ubiquity (which goes along with oem-config) not be removed from 24.04

Especially given that feature freeze is today, I would hope and expect that all features remain in the final release of 24.04

For certain legacy systems it is desirable to use oem-config for configuring a preinstalled image (like is common on the likes of many ARM systems). To my understanding, the new installer has no relevance for these cases as the packages are already preinstalled on the image. “Try” and “Install” Ubuntu are not relevant in these scenarios as the user already flashed the preinstalled image and ubuntu is already fully installed, only oem-config is run so that the user can setup their user account and language preferences.

Also, not only the timezone map uses webkit, any images that load (such as in the slideshow at the end of oem-config) use webkit.

5 Likes

Yes, you are correct that the current Ubiquity implementation uses webkit for the slideshow. However, it’s a bit easier to switch the slideshow to use the current supported webkit API than for the timezone map.

Just also throwing this out there with my Edubuntu technical lead hat on.

Edubuntu’s Raspberry Pi builds will use the oem-config portion of ubiquity as Ubuntu Desktop’s Raspberry Pi builds do currently. Since as of this writing no features have been implemented in ubuntu-desktop-bootstrap to enable that for Rapsberry Pi builds for 24.04…

hard NACK for Ubiquity's removal this cycle.

So come up with some other solution for the map or remove the map, but do not remove Ubiquity unless there is some other solution, that solution is implemented, and I’m notified about that solution before UI freeze.

3 Likes

Hey @eeickmeyer, what would prevent us from removing Ubiquity on non-ARM arches?

Probably not, but be careful.

For certain legacy systems it is desirable to use oem-config for configuring a preinstalled image (like is common on the likes of many ARM systems).

I will also note that oem-config (part of the Ubiquity package) isn’t just useful for ARM systems like the example. In any scenario where you would like to deploy a pre-made/pre-installed image across a set hardware (ie: schools or businesses), having a preinstalled image with oem-config configured as the boot target is what is done. It is well documented on Ubuntu’s community help wiki and would be a shame to lose this feature Ubuntu_OEM_Installer_Overview - Community Help Wiki

1 Like

That functionality is coming to the new installer for amd64 systems.

Please stop relying on documentation in the Wiki as it’s known to be very old and outdated. This discourse is where most of the documentation is moving to.

1 Like

where is the legacy installer for 24.04 thx

The legacy installer is only used for the raspi images. There are no legacy installer ISOs for intel/amd based installs.

1 Like

oem-config is also used on Hyper-V images (pre-installed images). We’ll migrate the images once the functionality is available on the new installer.

Well, that’s just silly.

The new installer has no support for a custom, encrypted btrfs install.

Surely feature parity should’ve been considered before such a change. I have no interest in an LVM Ext4 encrypted install, nor ZFS, which doesn’t really do anything for a personal desktops.

Please raise an issue here so that it can be tracked & responded to. OpenID transaction in progress