Question on upgrading from 18.04 LTS to 20.04 LTS

@Wimpress, @popey @Desktop Team
The folders /bin, /lib, /lib32, /lib64, /sbin are now symlinks to same name folders in /usr in 20.04. Will these folders automatically become symlinks in an upgraded 18.04 LTS to 20.04 LTS?

Arch Linux had this problem around 2013, I believe, when Arch moved to symlinks in /usr.

2 Likes

@chanath Yup, it seems

1 Like

Any solution should be ready by few weeks, I think.

Usually, it is recommended to install the new LTS release, rather than upgrade from the last LTS release, but some (or most) might try to upgrade, not to lose their settings and so on. But, the root file structure had changed in 20.04 LTS, and the upgraded system would look different than a newly installed 20.04 LTS.

Would the upgrade process give the 18.04 LTS user the same root file structure of 20.04 LTS? @Wimpress

1 Like

Am not sure, but guess the present installation would be broken and you would have to reinstall from scratch, just the same you would have done if you were not tempted to do the upgrade automatically without the effort.

The guys using 18.04 would be getting a notification that a new LTS is out and asking for upgrading…

That’s the problem about it

I wish they were similar