Proposal: GNOME Console as default terminal app

Does G-C have a Nautilus integration “Open in terminal” ?

1 Like

sudo apt install nautilus-extension-gnome-console

If we go ahead with this proposal, we’ll make sure that gets installed by default instead of the gnome-terminal version.

7 Likes

Don’t know about nautilus, but Desktop Icons NG (DING) uses the gsettings key “default terminal” to open a terminal, so as long as we set it there, there should be no problem in the desktop part.

1 Like

Even though it has already been answered, this one is a great article to replace gnome-terminal with gnome-console on ubuntu 22.04

https://fostips.com/gnome-console-default-terminal-ubuntu-2204/

(you don’t even need to uninstall it :slight_smile: )

We need a yaru icon for it though :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

1 Like

install gnome-console … but the icon says ‘console’ and to start it use ‘kgx’ ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ???

the icon says ‘console’

Yes

and to start it use ‘kgx’ ?

Yes, the binary is currently /usr/bin/kgx

2 Likes

Note that GIO has a list of explicitly supported terminal emulators for launching .desktop files with Terminal=true. kgx is currently not in it.

Also, it currently ignores the user’s preferred terminal emulator for aesthetic technical reasons (glib/gio shouldn’t depend on desktop gschemas).

Yes, we patch glib to allow launching terminal “apps” with kgx/gnome-console.

1 Like

Note that GIO has a list of explicitly supported terminal emulators for launching .desktop files with Terminal=true. kgx is currently not in it.

Mmmm… I would put the terminal and command list in an array…

I just tried the new Gnome Console, and even though I like the red bar to indicate the use of root privileges, the fact that it is forcing a translucent background with no way of customisation whatsoever results really annoying for me when using the console during a long period.

I think it’s still early to adopt it as default, considering as well that there is no user-friendly way for people who miss the functionality of the old terminal to go back to that one as a default.

3 Likes

Well, maybe not. Since Gnome-Terminal is not a core app anymore it could switch back to its old Gnome stock icon and Console could switch to the Yard one. Keeping the icon would help with a seamless transition.

If Console switches to the aubergine Ubuntu look, I hope that this look is supplemental to the GNOME dark one and not replacing it. It is the first thing that I do when installing Ubuntu: switch to a dark solarized theme.

1 Like

We should definitely ship an alias for the new ones:
gnome-console for kgx
gted for gnome-text-editor

I see me opening text files very often and would love a short command for that, while starting a new console is more of a rarer usecase.

https://www.phoronix.com/news/GNOME-Console-Ubuntu-22.10 is the Phoronix story covering this proposal BTW.

Please file bugs for those alias requests. File in Debian and/or Launchpad. (I don’t think GNOME was very interested.)

2 Likes

GNOME Console 43 was ported to GTK4 and there are regressions. With Feature Freeze only a few days away, the Ubuntu Desktop team has decided to keep using GNOME Terminal as the default terminal app for Ubuntu 22.10.

Thank you all for your input. This gives us more time to improve the Console app. I encourage you to file bugs for any other issues you find.

4 Likes

Hi,

Any update on this for Noble?
I do use Console since weeks, seems ok for my use. But I’m not an intensive Terminal user…

Ubuntu 24.04 LTS will keep using GNOME Terminal as the default terminal app.

A major blocker for Ubuntu eventually switching to Console is that Console is not accessible to screen readers. That issue affects all GTK4 terminal apps (at least the ones using vte), but Ubuntu’s GNOME Terminal still uses GTK3. The GTK developers have done some work there but the issue is not fixed yet.

By the way, GNOME Terminal has a new preview release earlier this month for a new GTK4 version, but we can’t switch to it in Ubuntu yet until the accessibility issue is solved.

6 Likes

What is doing XTerm and UXTerm in today’s Ubuntu except some historic compatibility when such occurrences should be pruned from this world?

1 Like

xterm is not in the default Ubuntu Desktop install. You can open a new bug or I guess a new topic if something else is depending on xterm that should not be.

texlive-full is the culprit, for my install at least.

1 Like

Meh, I’ve never had any issues with the gnome terminal – it works.

3 Likes