Please allow me to introduce myself

My name is Gideon Beukes. As a long-term Linux user, I am hoping to contribute back to the community and would like to introduce myself. I have used many Linux distributions over the years: Redhat, Mandrake, SUSE, Mint, Centos, Debian, and, of course, Ubuntu.

My passion for technology, programming, and system design was ignited during the microcomputer revolution. I started programming at the age of 10 and have worked with many programming languages over the years: Assembly, Pascal, Delphi, Lisp, Forth, Basic/Visual Basic, C, C++, Node, Python, and PHP. I have been a professional developer in the banking and insurance industries for the past 25 years and have mostly worked professionally with the Java and .NET ecosystems.

I’ve been the team lead on most of the projects that I’ve worked on during the past decade. I currently live and work in the Isle of Man, where I am leading a team of 8-10 software engineers working on projects in the FinTech industry.

In my spare time (besides programming :-)), I enjoy developing electronic devices using technologies and platforms such as PIC microcontrollers, ESP32, KiCad, and PlatformIO.

I’m looking forward to interacting with some of you soon.

6 Likes