Opportunity Open Source - conference report

Last week from 8-10th Sept, I was with @till-kamppeter, @aaryan-porwal and @abhigyanghosh30 at IIT Mandi, a university nestled in the Himalayan ranges of north India. Till, with Canonical’ s support had converted a proposed GSoC student meetup into a conference to promote open source - with tracks on OpenPrinting, Zephyr and documentation.

Initially I was in two minds about attending the conference physically, due to the frequent rain related landslides and road blockages in the area. But after giving a highly interactive talk that reminded me of my long-lost teaching days, I was left with no doubt about the importance of physical presence.

Till gave multiple talks on OpenPrinting and also held a workshop on creating snaps. I got some students excited with my talk on whether documentation can be fun, and finally we had them all sold on Canonical with a panel discussion about applying and working at Canonical.

The conference was live-streamed and is available on Ubuntu OnAir:

Among other highlights, Till bravely had dinner at a local ‘dhabha’ (a small roadside restaurant that traditionally caters to truck drivers) – under a fan which when switched on, sounded pretty much like a helicopter taking off!

We concluded the conference with a small trek to a nearby river, some Zephyr kite flying and a friendly game of basketball.

8 Likes

@dimple-kuriakose Thanks a lot for your great summary of my event!

Correction of the YouTube links to the recordings:

Friday, Sep 8:

Saturday, Sep 9:

Note that these recordings are of an entire half day or full day of the conference, not split into individual talks, also there is some scrap in the beginning as we needed extra time to get the audio in the room sorted out, so fast-forward to the first talk.

2 Likes

Recording of my talk about the event on the DebConf 2023 in Kochi which took place right after:

https://laotzu.ftp.acc.umu.se/pub/debian-meetings/2023/DebConf23/debconf23-216-opportunity-open-source-conference-in-the-iit-mandi-india-motivating-people-to-be-a-part-of-us.av1.webm

1 Like

My report in the OpenPrinting News September 2023.

1 Like