New Desktop Installer Preview Build

Instalei a versão 22.04
ele destruiu meu trialboot (Ubuntu XP Win10)
Bootrepair nao conseguiu recuperar e nao consegui depois de unmeras tentativas voltar o grub anterior.
resultado. tive que refazer instalacao 21.10 do zero e dias de computador parado.

That is why I QA Test new versions of Ubuntu in Virtual Box.
If the OS fails it does not do anything to your computer.

Thank You for QA Testing 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish.
Seems that Kubuntu has been quite the problem lately as, [Email]
with the installer failing. Quoits (the ring toss game), developers daily build, we always test. Keep Up the good work.! final release is 2022-04-21.

2 Likes

Hello I’ve tested canary Jammy installer.

it seems a long asked feature is not yet implemented nor reported on LP :

• When the user enter his chosen password , it should be possible ( and default ) to show the password on the screen.

Can you confirm ?

Because of bugs in keyboard layout switching , we had a lot of clients that just entered an “incorrect” password and thus locked out of their received computer

2 Likes

Confirmed, this is issue #589.

1 Like

Try install on Dell inspiron 3793 using a prexistent partition.
ISO dated 2022-01-07 subiquity 226
Install crashed and produces a crash file but the problem report is damaged and cannot be processed
PermissionError(1,‘Operation not permitted’)

The crash file says: install failed crashed with CalledProcessError
but rebooting I have a working system on the partition.

Other problems found during install:
screen ‘Installation type’ says: ‘The computer currently has no detected operating systems…’ while I have 4 different Ubuntu versions installed in various partitions of nvme disk of my PC
… I’m trying to install on a different disk on my PC.

Screen ‘Write changes to disk’ says: ‘The following partitions are going to be formatted’ but no partitions are listed

1 Like

Try install on Dell inspiron 3793 using a prexistent partition.
ISO dated 2022-01-10 subiquity 230
After screen: ‘Who are you?’
Install crashed and produces a crash file but the problem report is damaged and cannot be processed

The crash file says: install failed crashed with TypeError

Other problems found during install:
screen ‘Installation type’ says: ‘The computer currently has no detected operating systems…’ while I have 4 different Ubuntu versions installed in various partitions of nvme disk of my PC
… I’m trying to install on a different disk on my PC.

Screen ‘Write changes to disk’ says: ‘The following partitions are going to be formatted’ but no partitions are listed

Note: the new feature to display the password on screen: ‘Who are you?’ works fine.

I think this problem ‘the problem report is damaged and cannot be processed’ is serious because it prevents me from posting the problem.
This problem is only my? I start the installed from terminal and not from the icon on the desktop,
does this problem also happen to others? or just me?
I run installer in English with an Italian keyboard being connected in wifi through a hotspot of my smartfone, can this affect?

1 Like

Installed the Canary version today on a desktop with an Asus B450 motherboard and a Kingston nvme. The installation went OK. Marked as passed on the ISO testing tracker.

2 Likes

Try install on Dell inspiron 3793 using a pre-existent partition.
ISO dated 2022-01-20 subiquity 256
Install failed crashed with CalledProcessError
and again
crash not sent with message
The problem cannot be reported
This problem report is damaged and cannot be processed
can i do anything to avoid this problem?
submitted result in http://iso.qa.ubuntu.com/qatracker/milestones/429/builds/243103/testcases/1744/results
https://bugs.launchpad.net/subiquity/+bug/1958528

1 Like

Try install on Dell inspiron 3793 using a pre-existent partition.
ISO dated 2022-01-26 ubuntu-desktop-installer 268
On my PC I have 2 disk, 1 nvme and 1 sata SSD
screen ‘Allocate disk space’ detects only the nvme
while in desktop-installer 256 also the sata ssd was detected.
Trying ubuntu-bug I have
ubuntu@ubuntu:~$ ubuntu-bug ubuntu-desktop-installer
dpkg-query: no packages found matching ubuntu-desktop-installer
ubuntu@ubuntu:~$ ubuntu-bug subiquity
dpkg-query: no packages found matching subiquity
ubuntu@ubuntu:~$ ubuntu-bug -w
With ubuntu-bug -w click on the screen ‘Allocate disk space’
i see:
The crached program seems to use third-party or local libraries

Retry install using a partition on nvme disk.
something was wrong, please restart…
but install was successful.

reported in: http://iso.qa.ubuntu.com/qatracker/milestones/429/builds/243421/testcases/1744/results

I am interested in using autoinstall with the nocloud data source. On the server version using subiquty server installation it requires a boot_command. I have been looking and asking people for the method they use to create a boot_command rather than just the boot command itself. I have tried a dozen boot commands on the 21.10 version of Ubuntu Server and none of them work. So I was wondering if as part of this release someone could document the automatic installation process including how to write a boot_command.

I would love to test the auto install process.

Do you know what version of apport was installed? The change to be able to report installer bugs just landed on tuesday, https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/apport/2.20.11-0ubuntu76

If ubuntu-bug isn’t working it’s still useful to report launchpad bugs with the /var/log/installer and /var/log/curtin content.

Also the disk detection issue is weird, is gparted in the live session correctly seeing your disks?

You probably should try asking that question by posting a new topic in Foundations - Ubuntu Community Hub which is the team maintaining subiquity

I am new to ubuntu, suggestions like this help a lot. I did not know about the foundations group.

Thanks for the help.

How can i use /var/log/installer and /var/log/curtin to report bugs on launchpad?
how do i report a bug on installer?
Next time I will check apport level and gparted.
thanks

Today I tried again with ISO dated 2022-01-31 and installer 270 and the install ended with the usual ‘Something went wrong…’

apport is 2.20.11-0ubuntu76 the crash file has been created but the bug was not submitted
i attached /var/log/installer and /var/log/curtin in the bug

What’s the way to automate install process with the new installer ? What replaces preseed ?
Will that new preseed-like tool support LUKS-TPM, and secure boot ?
Thanks

Today a successful install with an error!
The install was successful, the generated system works fine but from terminal output i see an error and a crash file has been created. The crash file is damaged:

Problem in subiquity
the problem cannot be reported
this problem report is damaged and cannot be processed
PermissionError(1,‘operation not permitted’)

Successful installs 2 days in a row with no errors -
QA ttracking site Jammy Daily Ubuntu Canary ISO’s dated 05-03.2022 and todays 06-03.2022

2 Likes

Again same problem: install failed crashed with CalledProcessError

So… from what I can tell, this didn’t make it into Ubuntu 22.04 LTS, at least for this initial release of the GA install media?

Bummer, was looking very much forward to this feature:
https://github.com/canonical/ubuntu-desktop-installer/issues/229