Netbooting the live server installer

Yes, to be clear, this debian-installer “minimal installation” has never been supported by the Ubuntu developers and doing such an install is historically the source of many confusing bug reports.

We support installing Ubuntu Desktop, and Ubuntu Server; there are other community flavors that are supported by the developer community which have lower hardware requirements than Ubuntu Desktop, such as Lubuntu; but users installing a barebones bootstrap and picking and choosing which packages to install on top of this is unsupportable and unsupported, and we are not going to do work to specifically enable users deploying Ubuntu in this way.

The code is Open Source and you are free to make modifications to it. That does not mean Ubuntu needs to do work, or accept contributions, to enable users to shoot themselves in the foot.

Thanks for the reply, but mind, that there are users, who aren’t asking for help, but only to not being blocked. One of the things that I most like on Linux is possibility to pick the “bricks”, that I like and build my desktop. It allows me also to not throw my old hardware to garbage (ecology). Manual should be “For Human Beings” and not contain errors at least. As I’ve said- I’ve made an attempt only to learn something new, I could write this server ISO on USB and not bother. Whats more- I tried to treat Ubuntu as Debian testing alternative (on testing security updates must go through Sid, so it’s not adviseable to use it). Generally I think I don’t need fresh packages, so I will stick with Debian Stable. It probably won’t teach me much more, but we share common ideas at least. Think about it.
Cheers

2 Likes

Very strange official position.
So it was robots who prepared all previous netboot mini.iso images, right? Humans made mistakes while created all these mini.iso images for last 14 years, right?
Currently you are forcing users with strange limits. Many users still expect mini.iso to reborn!

1 Like

@Norbert- it turns out that people like us, with such a strange needs like ours, aren’t considered “Human beings” by Canonical anymore. We have to live with it. :wink:

From time to time this company makes decisions like ditching Gnome for Unity, adding Amazon search etc., which I strongly dislike. Dislike to the point, that I moved to Debian years ago. It seemed that recently things got better, so I thought: “why not try Ubuntu as an alternative to testing?”.

For me this topic isn’t as much as for technical aspects- I can download 900 MB .iso, it doesn’t bother me as much. The thing is, Ubuntu could be so much better, if it only comply with, what I’ve called earlier “open source SPIRIT”- name it as you like.

Sadly it seems that my come back won’t last long…

2 Likes

The mini.iso artifact was inherited from Debian without modification and had never been dropped. It has never been QAed by the Ubuntu team as part of releases, is not documented, and has never been supported.

There are many things inherited from Debian that are not supported in Ubuntu. Switching your init system is not supported in Ubuntu but is supported in Debian. We’ve done work in Ubuntu so that the normal way of switching init systems in Ubuntu does not work. The error with mini.iso was in not removing it sooner.

The Ubuntu development team has never indicated that the debian-installer deprecation was subject to popular polling. I think it is unhelpful for the above thread to exist and give users false hope.

We are always happy to discuss use cases that Ubuntu could better address. But the mini.iso as it existed is not coming back, and providing an installer that lets users install an unsupported subset of packages is not a use case we’re going to implement support for.

1 Like

It is unconstructive for you to put words in the company’s mouth like this.

So by your own admission, this is a preference, not a need.

Please, don’t read my words too directly, put them into brackets.

Sadly it seems that Ubuntu isn’t meant for people like me or maybe @Norbert too. If Ubuntu isn’t for us and it is for human beings, then we aren’t human beings (geeks maybe). Treat it as a joke, though.

Why it isn’t for someone like me? Because on regular manner it imposes certain things on me, that I don’t like. It was like that when Unity replaced Gnome (there wasn’t Gnome Remix already available), it is now, when after years it is announced, that the tool commonly used by many, turned out to be some kind of evil, that company hardly tolerated.

But please, don’t take it to yourself. It’s only my own opinion, and my personal taste, that I’d like Ubuntu better if it was more Debian-like, not less and less throughout the years.

Yes it is a preference, not only mine, it seems. But why company don’t want to meet our preference? Does it cost too much work for the team to create .mini.iso?

But I won’t fight for this preference with my hands and feets. I will just use distro that better suits my needs.

2 Likes

Does anyone have recommendations on how I can initiate an Ansible playbook during the autoinstall process or directly after? I have an unattended install of Ubuntu server working fine with a basic autoinstall.yaml script; however, I’m looking to keep that simple and do some of the more complex things in Ansible after the autoinstall process runs (or during if that’s what I need to do). I’m new to this and I haven’t found a good recipe that I should try and follow to do this yet.

1 Like

So I got further on this. I am able to netboot the installation. But I am trying to use the autoinstall feature and it keeps dying. It will start the installer and then go directly to killed saying OOM. For testing purposes my VM is set up w/ 1 CPU and 2GB RAM on VMware. I can’t get logs but here is a screenshot of what i’m experiencing.

Here is my /var/lib/tftpboot/pxelinux.cfg entry for Ubuntu

label 9
menu label ^9) Install Ubuntu Latest LTS Network
kernel networkboot/ubuntu/20.04/linux append vga=normal initrd=networkboot/ubuntu/20.04/initrd.gz root=/dev/ram0 ramdisk_size=150000000 BOOT_DEBUG=2 boot=casper DEBIAN_FRONTEND=newt ip=dhcp keep-consoles=true ipv6.disable=1 url=ftp://10.150.10.8/pub/iso/ubuntu-20.04.1-live-server-amd64.iso autoinstall ds=nocloud-net\;s=ftp://10.150.10.8/pub/ubuntu/20.04 ks=ftp://10.150.10.8/pub/configs/ubuntultsks.cfg --- quiet

1 Like

In my experience, 2 GB of RAM is not enough. Try 3 GB.

This is another reason to have normal mini.iso revived. It installs normally on low RAM.

2 Likes

Now i’m getting this

That looks like you are using the legacy installer. The url kernel parameter in the legacy installer is used for the preseed file. The url kernel parameter in the live installer is used for the iso image. It looks like the legacy installer is trying to use the iso image as a preseed file.

You should go back and review some guides. In particular, the information about getting the kernel and initram files from the live-server CD. You can not use the files from the legacy installer (whether the legacy iso, mini.iso, or the netboot archive).

Should I be researching autoinstall or cloud-init when researching?

Focus on the information about netbooting the live-server iso image. The steps are laid out in the first post of this topic. Once you have that working, then you can try to figure out autoinstall or cloud-init.

So I am I able to pxe boot to the ISO. It boots to the interactive text installer.
I have it set to this:
append vga=normal initrd=networkboot/ubuntu/20.04/initrd.gz net.ifnames=0 biosdevname=0 root=/dev/ram0 ip=dhcp ipv6.disable=1 url=ftp://10.150.10.8/pub/iso/ubuntu-20.04.1-live-server-amd64.iso autoinstall ds=nocloud-net;s=ftp://10.150.10.8/pub/configs/
I have the 2 files needed. But the installer doesn’t seem to be picking them up.

I wish I could specify a kickstart file. Makes life soooo much easier!

Thoughts?

BTW, thanks for the help!

The information you’ve provided doesn’t add up for me. However, I will assume you do have the live-installer ISO booting over the network, and assume the “2 files” are the user-data and meta-data files located in ftp://10.150.10.8/pub/configs/. My thoughts would be

1. I don’t know if the installer supports ftp URLs. I have not seen any examples using this protocol. I see some docs suggesting ftp is supported, but also this bug suggesting they are wrong.
  2. Access a shell to check the subiquity logs in /var/log/installer. A shell can be opened either using the Help menu in the text installer or using the Alt-F2 terminal
  3. Check the server logs to see if any requests for the files are being made

Okay so I’d really like to avoid a “me too.” Really. But, me too. Before you stop reading!

Why is everyone coming here? Because you linked to this thread on the official download site. Remove the link and the horrible trickle will stop. But first, I’d like to mention a few things:

1. Documentation mentioning older versions. This is a consistent problem. You still have KVM docs that are referencing releases like 8.04 and 9.10, etc.; I have to do a double-take when I read these pages to make sure that I’m not on a Debian site. The whole reason someone linked to this page is because they couldn’t find how to do the manual netinstall via the documentation. That’s the real issue here.

2. “A dwindling set of server hardware that supports non-UEFI boot.” This comment is as archaic and out-of-touch as the hardware it references. Nobody came here because they want to install Ubuntu 20.04 headless on their 80486+ board with 64MB RAM because those boards don’t exist anymore. To not see how this comment is condescending to the people who are here is really sticking the old blinders on the side of your head. Most people trying to do a netinstall of Ubuntu 20.04 are probably creating virtual machines.

3. The other options people are missing:
    a. Multipass. The problem I see here is that (a) it’s a snap (on a server farm? just no), and (b) the mentions of what underlying hypervisor(s) are supported are fully 5/6ths of the way down the page. Mention up front that you’re running it against KVM, go ahead; right on the Ubuntu install page. You’ll lose a great deal of traffic headed to “alternate installations”.
    b. Manual Server Installation (link removed due to link limit). You see? Now it’s a GNU discussion, because we have recursion. But what I don’t see under the manual options is a “netboot” option; that’s under Alternative Downloads, and leads here. Put a one-line comment directing where you want people to go. Which is here. Now, unfortunately that leaves you in the same dismal situation, because the instructions are exactly the same. But it has the advantage that it doesn’t have a comments section. :slight_smile: What I’d really recommend here is that you rewrite that doc from the perspective of “Hardware You’ll Need” and indicate that you need both a running LiveCD server and the server you’re trying to install to. Anyone who’s trying to setup a farm will quickly understand that you don’t provide what other distributions provide, and that if they want Ubuntu, this is the alternative.
    c. MAAS. And now, we get to our corporate sponsors. This is definitely an interesting option, given what’s available out there. I’m not in a great position to criticize. I guess I’m both happy for Ubuntu that it has come to this point and sad that the go-to operating system for people trying to escape Windows and MacOS is following the same cookie-cutter algorithm; either you’re not big enough to have your own cloud, so you use Azure and AWS, or you are big enough to have your own cloud, and we will sell you orchestration software.

So… in summary, I think you should close this discussion thread and update the links as recommended, and let that speak for itself. The direction that Ubuntu has chosen is crystal clear if you look at the other options. And to me it’s disappointing because I always sort of considered Ubuntu a part of the Debian family and the KVM ecosystem. But, things are always changing in computing, and we all have to pay the bills, and that means deciding which things we can and cannot support. I will definitely try Multipass, or at least look into it. But +1 to considering a netboot image, for those of us still trying to piece this together with bash, curl, and glue. :wink:

2 Likes

I just had to come back and add the comment that if you are running a libvirt farm there’s an experimental virsh “driver” (gosh these terms are overloaded) --see https://multipass.run/docs/using-libvirt.

are you aware that snaps have originally been designed for server, IoT, cloud and embedded use ? with server and enterprise security in mind originally ? support for desktop use came only around two years later (roughly around the time when redhat announced flatpak for the first time in 2016) …

There are likely more server and cli specific snaps in use on industrial PLCs, clouds, servers and IoT gateways than on the desktop …

Securely separated server processes are exactly the use case for snaps and one of the reasons they exist at all …