Netbooting the live server installer

Lunar Lobstar now has a mini iso 104 MB. How to boot from it ? Is it same as old mini iso ?

1 Like

Here is a mailing list discussion where you can get some more details how the new mini iso installer works:

and some more details in the thread from the actual developer:

1 Like

This 108MB mini-installer let me choose which Ubuntu distribution to install, then downloaded and ran that installer. That was way faster than writing gigabytes of desktop image to a USB-2 drive and waiting for it to load. https://cdimages.ubuntu.com/ubuntu-mini-iso/daily-live/current/

I use ipxe to install 22.04.2 automatically , but it appears error "Network is unreacheable " when downloading image from server .Check by ip addr and find there is no ip assigned to nic port which used for ipxe install. But the DHCP assign ip to this nic port successfully when enter ipxe .The NIC adapter i use is broadcom 1G and Broadcom 25G nic card .
I want to which folder have the nic support list for this OS

How exactly did you get that working?

I don’t have a DHCP server where I’m trying to use it, and it dies at first stage trying to DHCP.

I only used it on a network where I had DHCP.
You can probably unpack the ISO, edit the config to use static IP, and then rebuild the ISO.

As several other people, I came here from https://ubuntu.com/download/alternative-downloads, expecting to find a kernel image, squashfs filesystem or other stuff to make a networked install possible. The only thing that comes close that I found after quickly reading most of the messages here (and wasting a lot of time) is a link to Index of /ubuntu-mini-iso/daily-live. Besides the fact that we lost all the network configuration options that where in the debian-installer based mini.iso (how would a user without DHCP even use this?), I tried it out on our network hoping to use it on our workstations (dozens of them), and if didn’t even work. It seems to require more than 4 GB of RAM (I’m getting out of memory on 4 GB machines), and doesn’t even work properly to start the Ubuntu 22 installer (I’m getting an error about some /dev/pmem stuff).

Given the trend with the Ubuntu installation experience, I’m seriously considering switching all our PCs to Debian…

2 Likes

Closing - a full year without any useful on-topic discussion.