Monday 22nd April 2019

Hi everyone, below you will find the updates from the Desktop team from the last week.

If you’re interested in discussing a topic please start a thread in the Desktop area of the Community Hub (this site).

We also have our weekly meeting on IRC. We meet on Tuesday at 13:30 UTC in #ubuntu-desktop on Freenode. There will be an “Any Other Business” section at the end where you are welcome to raise topics. These topics might be discussed during the meeting, or afterwards depending on the time, depth of conversation, topic and so on.

Last week’s notes are here:


:baby_chick: GNOME Initial Setup:

:shield: Livepatch:

  • Proposed patch to handle undocumented ‘applying’ state.
  • Reported undocumented ‘applying’ state to livepatch client.
  • Reported issue when running ‘canonical-livepatch’ status without being root.

:department_store: GNOME Software:

:zipper_mouth_face: File Roller:

:mag: Tracker:

:tornado: General:

  • ISO testing
  • Proposed fix against salsa to fix guile-2.2 FTBS
  • Proposed MR to cherry-pick gedit fixes in gnome-3-32 branch.
  • Uploaded SRUs for gnome-software to migrate to new media API (now we have a suitable snapd-glib) and limit reviews to only from Ubuntu users.
  • Reviewed future snap banner format.
  • Tested Disco beta in a VM.
  • ISO testing
  • Hyper-V testing
    • We now have a disco image that’s ready to be published. Working on coordinating with Microsoft to get it added to the gallery
  • Merged PR adding Yaru-dark to gtk-common-themes to solve
    • Discovered a snapd bug in the process, causing stale mounts bug
  • Updated all the seeded snaps to 3.32.1
  • Refreshed gnome-3-28-1804 to handle security notices.
1 Like


:beetle: Release bugs:

:house: Housekeeping:

:pick: Backlogs progress:

  • :chart_with_downwards_trend: Good news (falling backlogs): xorg-server, xorg, firefox, thunderbird, chromium-browser
  • :chart_with_upwards_trend: Bad news (consistently growing backlogs): ubiquity
1 Like
  • ZFS:
    • reworked file, kernel, initramfs and distributions detection.
    • deep dive into boot (grub, initiramf) to generate an advanced grub menu with history. (see our changes staged in this zfs repo,, for details), ready for testing.
    • crafted a ZFS separate bpool setup, both in curtin yaml config and manually.
    • adjust the spec as needed
  • Misc:
    • disco iso testing
  • OpenPrinting Summit/PWG Meeting 2019 in Lexington, KY: Annual Meeting of OpenPrinting with the Printing Working Group (PWG), maintainer of the Internet Printing Protocol (IPP).Main subjects: Replacing classic printer drivers/PPDs by (snappable) Printer Applications, IPP System Service, which allows to admin network printers with GUI app instead of web interface, development of IPP itself, Google Summer of Code, …
  • OpenPrinting: Prepared slides about the work on OpenPrinting’s free software projects for the OpenPrinting Summit. See also Aveek Basu’s slides for further OpenPrinting work.
  • cups-filters: Guided GSoC 2018 student on finishing his work on auto-selection printers by option settings and job content with cups-browsed.
  • cups-filters: Guided students on their work on fixing issues: bannertopdf supporting old bannertops input files, Monochrome printing on color PostScript printers
  • Google Summer of Code 2019: There are 5 projects we want to mentor this summer for OpenPrinting, 11 in total for the Linux Foundation. We will get our number of slots from Google tomorrow. Students are already asking about the implementation of their projects, answered the student’s questions. Especially introduced the student for Printer Applications to Mike Sweet’s (author of CUPS) newest work on this subject which he presented on the Summit.
  • Avahi: Talked with Mike Sweet about the problem on the Summit and he asks for Trent posting a CUPS upstream GitHub issue about what needs to get changed on CUPS. I asked Trent via the Avahi GitHub issue. Trent did not answer yet, I asked @kenvandine to talk with Trent’s manager again.
  • ippusbxd (IPP over USB): Needs way that one still has classic USB access to a printer while ippusbxd is running, for example for scanning on multi-function devices. Talked with Sean Kau (Google, ChromeOS printing guru) on the Summit about this as the ChromeOS guys also gave valuable ippusbxd contributions a year ago.
  • Bugs.
  • short week (friday/monday holidays)
  • disco iso testing
  • reviewed a software-properties/livepatch fix from Andy
  • post disco bugstriage & reading of user feedback
  • did some catchup on admin/HR work which got delayed before disco
  • sent some emails to start post-disco topics