Hi everyone, below you will find the updates from the Desktop team from the last week.
If you’re interested in discussing a topic please start a thread in the Desktop area of the Community Hub (this site).
We also have our weekly meeting on IRC. We meet on Tuesday at 13:30 UTC in #ubuntu-desktop on Freenode. There will be an “Any Other Business” section at the end where you are welcome to raise topics. These topics might be discussed during the meeting, or afterwards depending on the time, depth of conversation, topic and so on.
Last week’s notes are here: https://community.ubuntu.com/t/monday-11th-march-2019/10092
Next week’s notes are here: Monday 25th March 2019
- Lots of 3.32.0 packaging for Debian and Ubuntu 19.04. This is almost complete now.
- Packaged libhandy 0.0.9 (needed by gnome-contacts)
- Identified late app icon filename renames and reported them to Yaru so we can update our symlinks before we do those updates to avoid breaking User Interface Freeze for our default desktop.
- Pinged the maintainer to do adwaita-icon-theme and gnome-backgrounds releases so that they have nice 3.32 release numbers.
- Pinged some maintainers to push git tags for their releases (useful for the Debian GNOME packaging workflow)
- Worked with ricotz on several more build fixes from the new vala series. Pushed the arctica-greeter fix upstream (landed in Debian now too).
- Discussed the thunderbird migration issue (we’ll probably drop thunderbird-testsuite). Thanks ricotz for fixing the thunderbird s390x build!
- Debian Security has agreed to help Berto (the Debian webkit2gtk maintainer) upload new webkit2gtk releases as security updates for buster. It will be run like Ubuntu where security support isn’t guaranteed but will be done as long as it makes sense and as long as there is someone volunteering to do the work.
- Created gnome-3-32 branches in upstream git for several GNOME modules I help maintain. Requested that the maintainers create the branch for some other modules. This allows us to keep our automatic snap candidate channel builds on the latest stable branch instead of tracking 3.30 or master.
- Updated several snaps to 3.32. I expect many of these will be pushed to the stable channel soon.
- swell-foop upstream has accepted our Snap configuration, so we have enabled auto builds for it.
In progress (no change from last week)
- tracker-miners test assumes that it is built with libiptcdata support (but we don’t do that in Ubuntu because it’s a universe package) so we need to either fix the test or skip it for now.
- There was a strange error from dh_install about missing files with tracker-miners. I haven’t had time to look into it more.
- I don’t know if we want to try to get tracker 2.2 in to Ubuntu 19.04. I don’t think anything in GNOME requires it yet.
- geary is still broken on s390x
- Reported a ppc64el and s390x issue with webkitgtk
- We need to update libosinfo to 1.4 to upgrade GNOME Boxes to 3.32.0. We should probably do that in Ubuntu now without waiting longer for it to be done in Debian first.
In progress (new)
- cheese didn’t have a release tag pushed for 3.32.0. There are some workarounds so I’ll probably do one of them in the next few days.
- gucharmap 12 requires a new unicode-data release (which would be a small transition). We’ll probably just wait for Ubuntu 19.10 for this.